Toronto 4804-4812 Yonge Street | ?m | 1s | Dov Capital

I think it opens tomorrow.

Sorry for the bad photo. I left the flash on.

Toronto-20120613-00141.jpg

Toronto-20120613-00142.jpg

I went to the McDonalds around 8am this morning to check it out. It was already extremely busy! I guess a lot of people wanted to check it out, considering Yonge/Sheppard is considered an important intersection. There were around 5 cashiers open and each lineup was up to the far window. They had a *lot* of people working in the back, including two managers in blue shirts and even four higher management in white shirts working the kitchen too.

Unfortunately there didn't seem to be any grand opening specials or coupons or anything.

The restaurant itself is your typical McCafe, with a couple of tv's tuned to CP24. I think there is the same amount of seating compared to the old McDonalds, maybe a bit less.

The inside doorway at the south end are for the washrooms. There is no stair access to the second floor anywhere from the dining area.

Here are some pictures of the north end from outside. No patio seating or anything out here. The laneway at the back is restricted to the public as it's the loading area.

20120614mcd2.jpg

20120614mcd1.jpg

Also some official banners for the 7-11.

20120614mcd3.jpg

I stopped by today as well. Overall I am a big fan of the new style McD's is using in it's re-design around the province. It's pretty well executed in this store except for a few points:
- I don't like the red awnings... it doesn't fit with the rest of the modern image. In other stores they have used dark walnut or red wood slats.. or dark gray/slate or red/white paneling. The awnings shape is also not consistent with the rest of the design being based on squares and rectangles.
- The cash register area is a bit poorly thought out considering the size of the regular crowds that visited the old store. The area is not deep enough and so when a line gets 5 people in it, the back person is touching the rear window. Sucks when you're at the cash registers on the right hand side because then you have to push through the other lines to get to the dining room. It's made worse by people's natural instinct to line up at the left most cash register first.. causing a traffic jam getting in and out of the cash register area.
- They probably could have used a bigger dinning area. The old store was regularly full... I put it down to the fact that there is so many small condos in the area and people are looking for a cheap place to get out for a bit. The Starbucks at Avondale is way too tiny, Sheppard Center food court is too dark and everywhere else is a fully fledged restaurant.

Visited MD on Friday and that upper area over 7-11 will not be used by MD.

The service area is too small with 90% students using the seating area.

The doors were hard to open to the point the accessibility doors were not working.

There is room outside for tables, if anyone plans on having them. It would add more to the area if they do.

The other MD store is being used as a storage area at this time.

The store is too small for the area.

This is a sad little building for such a major intersection. I feel sorry for the wonderful couple who struggle to keep their little variety store open in the Sheppard Centre. They work so hard and have to really struggle to maintain a reasonable amount of stock. Many empty shelves today. I guess the 7/11 may be the last straw for them, particularly now that Rio Can has taken over and is by all accounts raising rents.

Agreed about the line up mess. They should make customers line up single file by using those ropes/ribbons.

The 7-11 is now open as of Jun-30. I went inside to check it out but there is not much to report... it's just a 7-11. A lot of space allocated to their coffee makers and I'm wondering how that will fare against the McCafe right beside them.

No access to upstairs from the 7-11 but I guess nobody was expecting it anyway.

Last edited:
would be nice for a dance studio or something. similar to the edithvale community centre at yonge and finch west.

would be nice for a dance studio or something. similar to the edithvale community centre at yonge and finch west.

Way too small for that. Looks like a space for advertising, like a giant TV as someone suggested earlier in the thread.

Any idea what's going to happen to the old building where McDonald's used to be?

There is a new Hero Burger opening up approximately 200m south of this location, at Yonge/Johnston Ave. Too bad they can't kick out Kinkos and get Hero Burger to take its place at 4812 instead. I think everyone would agree Hero Burger would be a much nicer fit to round out this corner, and Kinkos would do just as well at the more desolate Yonge/Johnston area.

I don't know what else they can do with the second floor, other than cover it up with advertising billboards (easy revenue) and use the area as extra storage. There is no external access to that floor from outside, and no apparent access from inside 7-11 or McDonalds either. If a 4th business were to move up there, then customers would probably have to go through Kinkos, and I can't see that working out very well.

For this northwest corner of Yonge & Sheppard,..... Answering a 5 year old post,.... thus, this temporary placeholder has another 10 years to go,....

Way too small for that. Looks like a space for advertising, like a giant TV as someone suggested earlier in the thread.

For one of the neighbourhood's great mysteries,.... the second floor "office-space" window is suppose to host media advertising signage,... saying something like "City of Toronto" (owner), "Dov-Capital" (developer),.... and media advertising,... local Councillor really against these giant media screen distracting drivers,... (same reason why Tridel HullmarkCentre didn't get it)

Any idea what's going to happen to the old building where McDonald's used to be?

Since this building is temporary and this site is owned by City of Toronto, who'll specify only office building be built here (with underground TTC bus terminal) in 10 years,.... that site directly north (4822-4828 Yonge with 2-storey old structure) that last hosted a McDonalds,.... technically has "a lien" on it,... it's privately owned (zoned for office/retail) but needs very expensive repairs to bring it up to code,... thus, it's currently un-rentable and apparently un-sellable (up for sale last year). Thus, I would expect that building to remain totally empty for a long time,.... though, it would serve well as a temporary political campaign office,... hmmmm,.....
4822Yonge7.jpg

Oh,.... and it seems like Sheppard-Yonge subway station should be getting Presto fare gates soon (probably start within a month,.... but surely by year end),.....

Attachments

• 4822Yonge7.jpg
    4822Yonge7.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 1,115
Last edited:
I agree with the councillor. That intersection is bad enough as it is for drivers with all the congestion. Distractions like big advertising screens would only worsen the situation.

Looks like former Fed-Ex/Kinko space will now host TACO-BELL!

I can't recall a Taco-Bell without a KFC so I'll assume KFC coming too,... tentatively, if they can find enough "FCK"-n Chicken!
23-kfc-fck-uk-ad.w245.h368.jpg

http://www.grubstreet.com/2018/02/k...hicken-shortage-with-fkc-we-are-sorry-ad.html

Taco-Bell is YUM brand along with KFC and Pizza Hut,.... so maybe even Pizza Hut too,... but most likely just Taco-Bell and KFC as with most of their other locations. Tentative timeline probably around 3-6 months to opening?

IMG_1526_2510.jpg

So this little corner building will host McDonald's, 7-11, Taco-Bell/KFC,..... "FCK" I'm gonna get fat,... ok, fine, fatter!

Attachments

• 23-kfc-fck-uk-ad.w245.h368.jpg
    23-kfc-fck-uk-ad.w245.h368.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 776
  • IMG_1526_2510.jpg
    IMG_1526_2510.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 805
Last edited:

Back