Toronto 4800 Yonge Street | 168.24m | 49s | Menkes | Arquitectonica

I totally misunderstood your post with the Golden Lion Inn Motel. I thought you were insinuating that this new development would be related in name. I am aware that owners can call their project whatever they wish.

That's pretty interesting about the stage coach stop. I didn't realize we even had a transit system of stage coaches in the past. I guess I assumed (wrongly, apparently,) that most of them were privately owned.

I think this could actually be quite attractive - provided it's not another pile of spandrel.

E1EE4F0C-80B3-494D-AC63-D1061974874A.png

Not bad, with that rounded top. On the other hand, this is one project where the design would benefit from ditching the podium, thereby making it sleeker. That podium makes it look pretty staid.

This location needs a whole lot more than the tiny office component ... podium or not

This location needs a whole lot more than the tiny office component ... podium or not

This location does NOT needs another oversize condo tower,... especially one that looks like a tombstone!

Let me clarify ... I meant to say ... this location needs a whole lot more (office) than the tiny office component that Menkes is now proposing

Ugh?.. but isn't that podium 5 storeys of office space
I didn't think it was necessary to clarify, but here goes: I don't care whether it's office space or not - it's the overall form of the structure I'm talking about. I would keep the tower at its current proposed height, but kill off the podium component. I don't hate podium concepts in general but sometimes it seems like a schtick developers in this town resort to all too often.

Let me clarify ... I meant to say ... this location needs a whole lot more (office) than the tiny office component that Menkes is now proposing

Let me clarify ... I meant to say ... this location is currently zoned for all office usage and no residential usage. And that's why this development proposal have been met with so much resistance from City Planning, the councillor office and local residents.

I didn't think it was necessary to clarify, but here goes: I don't care whether it's office space or not - it's the overall form of the structure I'm talking about. I would keep the tower at its current proposed height, but kill off the podium component. I don't hate podium concepts in general but sometimes it seems like a schtick developers in this town resort to all too often.

Developers like podium because from street-level it hides their ugly development from pedestrians walking by. EmpressWalk is a great example of this where its 4 level podium retail mall hides their two residential condominium towers from pedestrians walking along Yonge Street,... these are the first residential condo towers allowed to be built on Yonge Street in North York Centre,....

A podium at the base makes a development looks more plugged into the ground,.... giving a sense of a stronger foundation to hold up the building. It's also used as a vertical buffer between the ground level activities and the rest of the development above. Also when developer put in commercial podium, they often try to sell it as doing the community a favour by giving the local community more retail opportunity, gathering place, an almost public place, etc,.... but it's really just another source of revenue for the developer.

this location is currently zoned for all office usage and no residential usage. And that's why this development proposal have been met with so much resistance from City Planning, the councillor office and local residents.

The same was true for Gibson Square condos, but it went ahead anyway thanks to the OMB.

The same was true for Gibson Square condos, but it went ahead anyway thanks to the OMB.

Yeah,.... funny thing is it's the same developer, Menkes,..... and at Gibson Square OMB hearing when city raised imbalance issue of too many land originally zoned for offices being converted to residential by OMB,..... Menkes says don't worry, there's still plenty of office zoned land in North York Centre,... and they cited 4800 Yonge (this site) as one of those office zoned land,.... ironic isn't it,... or is it now hypocritical,....

Back