Hamilton 46-48 Ferguson Avenue South | 97.8m | 30s | Hi-Rise Group | Graziani + Corazza

Additional visuals from the DRP package:
drp-173jackson36-48ferguson-wind-study-2.jpg

drp-173jackson36-48ferguson-wind-study-3.jpg

drp-173jackson-36-48ferguson-urban-design-brief-19.jpg

It makes me wonder how the quality of both the climate insulation and especially the sound insulation is? And will these be slums in about 30-40 years? The build quality just seems terrible but yet they are asking for disgusting rent prices it makes no sense!?
they'll be slums in 5-10 years - even now they look dated and noone i taking up residences in the commercial parts of them.

There is a trend where people try to market making things cheaply or minimally as "design chic" and expect people to pay massive amts for very little. Sadly a lot of people seem to fall for it.

If it looks cheap, it IS cheap, and it will all age horribly. Hopefully It'll eventually be torn down and something nicer will be built in its place.

At least the new one has SOME sort of design focus to look at, even though, predictably the only designs any of these people seem to know how to do is at right angles.. but it at least gives me a design focus to look at - that's what most new architects don't seem to get - your building has to have some sort of design hook, not look like you mashed a bunch of boxes and picture frames together..

I don't think that criss-cross pattern was ever put at the top of his previous one, or maybe I just can't see it from the height it's at.. hamilton is terrible at topping its buildings with anything of interest, or,.. heaven forbid, LIT..

Last edited:
Sadly a lot of people seem to fall for it.
The vast majority of precons are purchased by investors to rent out. These people don't care how the building looks. Granted, most end users are not UT urbanist nerds and also don't pay much attention to design.

The vast majority of precons are purchased by investors to rent out. These people don't care how the building looks. Granted, most end users are not UT urbanist nerds and also don't pay much attention to design.
well.. at least WE do lol..

Site Plan Application has officially been submitted here (DA-23-074). The main changes from the DRP are as follows:

Total units increased from 402 to 403.
Total vehicular parking decreased from 271 to 161.
Total bicycle parking increased from 198 to 206.

Site Plan Application has officially been submitted here (DA-23-074). The main changes from the DRP are as follows:

Total units increased from 402 to 403.
Total vehicular parking decreased from 271 to 161.
Total bicycle parking increased from 198 to 206.
Big, big fan of the parking reduction. Like to see more bicycle parking though I would have liked to see a few more spots. Could fit another 60-100 (unstacked/stacked respectively) bike parking spaces into 5 more parking spots being removed.

Anyone been by the spot lately? From Sam Lawrence it looked like they might have a soil sample rig there. Pretty far away so it might have been nothing.

Back