Toronto 411 Church | 121.91m | 38s | CentreCourt | IBI Group

The Stanley will be 20 metres taller than this one, so that possibly means that this one will sit within the shadow already cast by The Stanley (at certain times of the day/certain times of the year)?

Huh? Isn't the Stanley 37 stories? A 38 storey building is now proposed at 411 Church (down from 45 storeys), but I don't see how the Stanley will be 20 metres taller unless the floor-to-ceiling heights are dramatically different.

Given how contentious the shadowing of the school was during the Stanley approvals, this proposal shouldn't be allowed to cast ANY further shadow than what's already been agreed upon.

Where do you get 38 storeys from? The only number reported in this thread is 116 metres, which is 20 metres shorter than The Stanley.

I received a notice about the OMB appeal in the mail as I live nearby. That's where it said 38 storeys (down from 45). I may have misread it, but I'll double check again tonight.

OK...I'm quoting now from the OMB information package I received in the mail:
  • Permit a 38-storey mixed-use building containing 541 residential units
  • The overall height was reduced from 142.8 metres to 116 metres

Latest rendering @ 38 storeys. Note that the height has come down but the floor plate is larger.
411_church_rendering.jpg

OK...I'm quoting now from the OMB information package I received in the mail:
  • Permit a 38-storey mixed-use building containing 541 residential units
  • The overall height was reduced from 142.8 metres to 116 metres
Okay, the resubmission is not proposed at 116 metres, it's proposed at 122 metres. We count the mechanical penthouse when entering the height.

EDIT: Meanwhile, the height listed for The Stanley to the south was wrong. That has now been corrected in its dataBase file and thread title. Listed at 125 metres, it's actually 125.45 metres making it about 11 and a half feet higher than this development. With it at 37 storeys and this one at 38 storeys, this one's floor heights are still shorter than at The Stanley, but not significantly so.

Last edited:
So, at July City Council, the vote was to continue to oppose this development. There are many points listed in the report where the City wants change, but the ones which stick out are 1) the 890 square metre floor plate which is 19% beyond what the Tall Buildings Guidelines call for (and why the 38-storey version looks so stubby), 2) that it adds more shadow to the Church Street Public School playground, and 3) the mention above regarding the transition to the low-rise neighbourhood. The City's stance on The Stanley being approved at 37 storeys is that it's at the intersection of two main roads, so its height pertains to that node. They want this building to step down to recognize the village feel to the north of it. To quote:

The proposed 38-storey tower does not fit within its existing and planned context and will have a negative impact on the immediate area, including the Church Street Junior Public School, as a result of the proposed massing, height and shadow, and does not provide a transition to the low- scale Church Street Village Area. There is also insufficient parking to support the proposed development. Servicing requirements to support the site are still required to be addressed to the satisfaction of City staff.

Issues related to transition and shadow can be addressed to the satisfaction of City staff, if the proposal is revised to a maximum 25-storeys, which is within a 15 to 25 storey range in accordance with the Downtown Tall Buildings: Vision and Supplementary Design Guidelines and OPA 183 (Site and Area Specific Policy 382), with a 750 square metre floor plate in a more compact tower shape generally located to the southeast corner of the site.

Ridiculous torontonians citizens !
If it was an ugly boxy building, it would have been approved.
Because it different from the norm, it opposed.
I hope OMB will approve it and it will keep it design.
Can someone explain me why beautiful building are rarely done and ugly ones are done ?
:(

Back