Toronto 400 Front Street | 195.75m | 59s | State Building Group | Kirkor Architects

Looks ok to me. What's there now is a giant parking lot. Gives a terrible impression for anyone entering Toronto.

Looks ok to me. What's there now is a giant parking lot. Gives a terrible impression for anyone entering Toronto.
A surface parking lot is certainly not a great thing to see when entering (or living in) an area but one has the hope that it will, sooner or later, be developed and replaced by a `masterpiece`. A new piece of crap built on any site leads to despair as one knows it is unlikely to be replaced for many decades.

A surface parking lot is certainly not a great thing to see when entering (or living in) an area but one has the hope that it will, sooner or later, be developed and replaced by a `masterpiece`. A new piece of crap built on any site leads to despair as one knows it is unlikely to be replaced for many decades.
Ugh, a masterpiece? and who is building that @ Front and Spadina? ...away from the CN Tower and the City Hall i don't think Toronto has any
Lets be realistic, I'm ok with this middle of road development here to replace what's there now

Ugh, a masterpiece? and who is building that @ Front and Spadina? ...away from the CN Tower and the City Hall i don't think Toronto has any
Lets be realistic, I'm ok with this middle of road development here to replace what's there now
I was certainly not saying the plans for 400 Front are a 'masterpiece" (though it's early days I think it is certainly NOT, and may even get worse due to the almost inevitable 'cheapening'!) - my comments were not specific to this project.

The real shame is that they seem to be extending the lazy point tower formula prevalent at City place north of Front St. here. With the Well project next door there is at least an attempt to simulate more imaginative architecture, and they seem to be incorporating a mix of materials and design components through the retail and public realm.

The two point towers are fronting one of the downtowns most attractive squares so you would hope that would be taken into consideration- at least at street level. The corner building is a bit of a jumble though with its off-kilter setbacks. I'm not really sure what to make of it, but if finished in lower-end glass wall with spandrel inserts this could be a muddled mess. One can only hope they opt for a high end glazing.

Last edited:
Sorry i dont buy that
I just can not see. how a parking lot could be better than a building no matter how it looks (cause most people dont give a shit about the looks) can be better than bringing some street life into an area with a bunch of much needed residential, retail?
A parking lot is better than an ugly building because if left for a few more years, that lot may get a better proposal once the prices in the area and the city rise. But if you build an ugly building now, you are stuck with it forever.

A parking lot is better than an ugly building because if left for a few more years, that lot may get a better proposal once the prices in the area and the city rise. But if you build an ugly building now, you are stuck with it forever.
Very true actually
Theres no way it will be as parking lot for much longer
But it doesn't look like anyone can do anything now?
They already passed the LPAT with that ugly bland glass design?

.Some of you guys on the forum keep on talking about keeping parking lots instead of building ugly buildings, lol
...if that was the case i guess we'd still be living in the 90s from considering what's been built in Toronto since then?

Last edited:

This isn't "middle of the road" - this is garbage.

AoD

.Some of you guys on the forum keep on talking about keeping parking lots instead of building ugly buildings, lol
...if that was the case i guess we'd still be living in the 90s from considering what's been built in Toronto since then?
Wouldn't be the worst thing. South of the tracks was largely a wasteland but we did have a very gorgeous and unique skyline back then. There's pros and cons for sure.

Toronto.jpg

Source: https://www.britannica.com/place/Toronto

IMG_2095.JPG by Julie, Dave & Family, on Flickr

Attachments

• toronto-skyline-sunset.jpg
    toronto-skyline-sunset.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 183

Back