Toronto 40 Walmer | 116.65m | 35s | 2114778 Ontario Inc | Turner Fleischer

I lived on Walmer north of here for a number of years. For all the apartment buildings around, it is quite sleepy. I expect it would remain so with these added.

It’s a nice relatively wide street, I’d love to see some retail and or restaurants allowed. The Annex has potential for a Berlin-esque Mitte type neighbourhood here, if more free uses were allowed.

I lived in 44 Walmer for almost a decade. That little roundabout can handle more people, but so could all of the much more empty streets in the Annex.

I lived in 44 Walmer for almost a decade. That little roundabout can handle more people, but so could all of the much more empty streets in the Annex.
I lived at 90 Walmer for a year a little over a decade ago. Great spot but it was a very different city back then - I think we were paying $1450 for an enormous two bedroom...

I lived at 90 Walmer for a year a little over a decade ago. Great spot but it was a very different city back then - I think we were paying $1450 for an enormous two bedroom...

I never pictured you for being a 90 Walmer type PE.

Walmer Mansion does not give off 1990s Tokyo at all.

For anyone who wanted to see where PE lived during his historicist phase, that he never talks about...

1702909477820.png

Last edited:
Oh man, I wish. That looks like the ground floor unit and finished far nicer than what we had on the third. It was a great space, especially in the turret, but it was an insanely shabby reno. I still have a scar on my left hand from when the cabinetry just came right off the wall and fell on me (plates, cups, dishes, food, etc. included). The smoke alarm was also mounted directly above the stove for some reason. Got friendly with Toronto Fire that year, for sure.

I looked at quite a few of that type of place in 2004 when I wanted to move to the Annex, but we ended up in 44. The rent prices at that time were definitely not comparable to today's prices... We would have stayed in that building forever if it had units with dishwasher and laundry.

Yeah, in my Annex years I was in both styles - 35 Walmer first, which was a great building, then the ground floor of one of the houses at the NE corner of Lowther / Spadina (all owned by the same landlord, so I keep waiting for that assembly to come to market with some sort of proposal), then an apartment in a home on Dalton, where I was evicted for dubious landlord use before finishing my time in another one on Madison.

Height: Given that the TAS proposal is 20s and the City is not yet sold; and the Prii to the north is 13, the ask here seems out of step. I find it highly probable the City will oppose this on height alone.

Giving this one a hair cut just to its southerly neighbour's proposed height , never mind shaving a further storey or two may render the project non-viable.

If this one comes out the other end of the sausage making process with anything other than a refusal report, I would expect a substantial height reduction.

Of note, this one is light on separation distances: 3M to the church, 10M to the west property line (maybe); 7.5M to the Prii

Above is what I had to say when this came out.

Today, we see the Refusal Report I foresaw is on the agenda of the next meeting of TEYCC:

This did not take long at all. No surprise.

1705071399444.png

1705071422016.png

1705071437460.png

Reads pretty much as I said it would.

Hopefully Sean Fraser's $500M can be used to convince the city that it's actually fine to put up a 35 story building at the nexus of two subway lines and a streetcar line?

Read what was written.

The site is not suitable for any tower because there are inadequate setbacks to the neighbours. It's an entirely absurd proposal, no amount of money will change that or should.

Really.......sigh.

The issue is not knee-jerk opposition to height, it's that the site is physically too small, and is constrained. by heritage on both sides.

It's true that they should collaborate with the developers at the neighbouring church to make plans for two 20+ story towers that work well together.

It is knee-jerk opposition to height and density, though, dressed up in other concerns as it always is.

Back