Toronto 4 The Kingsway | ?m | 8s | North Drive | Richard Wengle

Given the site, I like what they have done, although I'm not too fond of that round, half onion on top of the "point". Reminds me of those hideous condos in Vaughan at the NE corner of Jane/Rutherford

From Councillor Peter Milczyn's e-newsletter:

Neighbourhood Meeting on Revised Application for 2800 Bloor Street West
June 16, 2009
6:30pm to 8:30pm
Lambton Kingsway Junior Middle School ( in the Gymnasium)
525 Prince Edward Drive

The site is located immediately west of the intersection of Bloor Street West and The Kingsway, on the north side of Bloor, adjacent to the City owned parkette at this intersection.

Revised Proposal

The applicant has submitted revised plans to permit a building to be used for a seniors' retirement residence. The building will be seven storeys in height in total, where 6 floors will contain 89 rooms and library and dining facilities, and the 7th floor is for roof top amenity uses. The 89 rooms will be rented to senior citizens. Three rental apartment units are also proposed in the building.

The previous application had 8 storeys with 102 rooms. The revisions include increased setbacks from Bloor Street, increased landscaping, green roof, terracing on three floors, terracing of the northwest corner of the building, increased stone/aethetic/architectural details, and the relocation of the entrance and underground driveway from The Kingsway to Bloor Street West. Parking is not being reduced; therefore increasing the ratio based on the reduction of units.

The applications propose to demolish the existing 3-storey, 10-unit rental apartment building on the site. Zoning currently allows for 5 storeys as of right.

The meeting will provide an opportunity for the community to review the revised plans and have input on this project, and ask questions of Planning, Transportation and Parks/Recreation Staff. Staff will circulate the revised plans to all departments over the summer, and I anticipate that the Final Report to Council (with Staff Recommendations) will be tabled in September. Deputations (oral or written) are welcomed at that time. I will be keeping residents informed on this project, and will provide the Staff Report to all intersted parties in advance of the Community Council meeting.

If you cannot attend the meeting, you can still make your views known by sending a fax to (416) 394-6063 or by writing to Gregg Lintern, Director, Community Planning, Etobicoke York District, City Planning Division, 2 Civic Centre Crt, 3rd Floor, Toronto Ontario, M9C 5A3. Please cc me on those comments to ensure I am aware of the Communities' thoughts/position.

If you would like further information about the proposal, please contact my office by phone or email me your comments. I will ensure all comments received are forwarded to the Planner for the file and the Applicant.

I'm not fond of the design but, the ass end looks like an ass end.

Those are the old drawings still though (assuming you're viewing the elevations included in the link at the top of the thread), and it looks like there are substantial changes to the design now. Not that I expect that the overall look of the exterior will deviate from the generally silly architecture predominating in this area now (including the lump immediately south of it up against the cemetery, the two 'Kensington' lumps across from Old Mill Station, and the new 'Manoir Roquefort'* condo across from the Old Mill wedding factory).

Oh yeah, the Wedding Factory; that's why this area looks like it does! Bring on the brick wedding cakes! They're charming!

A modernist or postmodernist design would probably look nice at the Bloor/ Kingsway corner. The example below shows the Willy-Brandt house in Berlin (architect: Helge Bofinger).

WillyBrandtHaus1a.jpg

City Planning Status Report

For consideration by Etobicoke York Community Council on Sept 15/09:

In accordance with the February 9, 2009 and the May 14, 2009 directions of the Etobicoke York Community Council, the applicant submitted revised plans on May 4, 2009 for the proposed building that will primarily be used as a retirement residence for seniors. Also, on May 13, 2009 the applicant submitted an application to amend the City’s Official Plan since they are proposing to provide 3 rental replacement units in the building instead of 10 rental replacement units which are intended to be demolished in the existing 3-storey rental apartment building on the site. The revised application has been circulated to all appropriate agencies and City Divisions. To date, not all the comments have been received from the circulation of revised plans.

A Community Consultation Meeting was held on June 16, 2009 in order to provide residents and business/property owners with an opportunity to review and comment on the revised plans submitted on May 4, 2009.

With the end of the recent labour disruption, the review of this matter will be completed and a final report, with appropriate notice as directed, will be provided to Etobicoke York Community Council at is meeting on October 13, 2009.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/ey/bgrd/backgroundfile-22860.pdf

From Peter Milczyn's December e-update:

2800 Bloor Street West - Retirement Residence at Bloor and The Kingsway

At the November 10th meeting of Etobicoke York Community Council, the retirement residence at 2800 Bloor Street was approved. Community Council voted unanimously on the project. I had the item bumped to City Council and at the meeting on November 30th, City Council also supported the project unanimously. If you want more information on this project in Ward 5, please review the following link to the Final Report on this Application.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/ey/bgrd/backgroundfile-24560.pdf

I would anticipate at this point in time, that construction will not occur or demolition of the existing apartment building for 1-2 years.

It turns out that the planning department report recommended refusal because the building is only replacing 3 of the 10 rental units that are in the existing building on this site, which will be demolished. The report tells city council not to approve without a minimum of 6 rental replacement units, but that recommendation was obviously ignored. Maybe because total housing stock is increasing, and in effect this senior's residence is akin to a rental anyway?

Living Life on the Kingsway (Old Mill)

http://www.livingliferetirement.com/kingsway.php

retirementkingsway.jpg

The Kingsway. It's one of the most sought-after neighbourhoods in the city and Living Life is currently designing a remarkable retirement residence that will do it justice. With perhaps the finest address on The Kingsway, right at the corner of Bloor St., this elegant Flat-Iron-style building will be a new landmark of luxury. Located across from The Old Mill, the Humber River Valley will be right outside your window, and the stately homes and tall trees of The Kingsway will be as close as your backyard.

Back