Toronto 4 The Kingsway | ?m | 8s | North Drive | Richard Wengle

How the hell did Buenos Aires get such beautiful buildings and ours look like crap? I thought we were the first world city?

That could be neat, but sadly, what you will get is a wedding cake with cheap icing.

How the hell did Buenos Aires get such beautiful buildings and ours look like crap? I thought we were the first world city?

Buenos Aires is far older and more established than Toronto, and is one of the most culturally rich cities in the world. Its population hit 1 million people in the early 1900s when Toronto was still quite small, and ranked among major cities in the world during the early half of the 20th century, which led to such impressive development.

Maybe I misconstrued your statement, but it comes off as a bit ignorant. Though it has faced some instability, for the most part Buenos Aires, and Argentina as a whole are just as first world as we are (Argentina, while behind Canada is 5th in the Americas on the Human Development Index.)

From Justin DiCiano:
2800 Bloor Street West – Settlement approved at City Council At its July meeting 2015 Toronto City Council approved the settlement for this application which is at the OMB.

DSC05914_zpsvzcqsnw4.jpg

DSC05917_zpsfoi6gexx.jpg

DSC05918_zpszsl9au3e.jpg

DSC05919_zpsiaxtdbmx.jpg

DSC05920_zpsglwbahjh.jpg

They were a big city in 1900, Toronto was not. Toronto was also industrial/blue collar up until very recently. That said, I think you're confusing wealthy with having grand 100 year old buildings.

Buenos Aires is far older and more established than Toronto, and is one of the most culturally rich cities in the world. Its population hit 1 million people in the early 1900s when Toronto was still quite small, and ranked among major cities in the world during the early half of the 20th century, which led to such impressive development.

Maybe I misconstrued your statement, but it comes off as a bit ignorant. Though it has faced some instability, for the most part Buenos Aires, and Argentina as a whole are just as first world as we are (Argentina, while behind Canada is 5th in the Americas on the Human Development Index.)
Yes, in the period 1900-1930, Argentina had roughly the same GDP per capita as Canada did.

I know design is pretty subjective, but I don't understand how you can say that the design of this building is "crap". I think they've put in a lot more work and thought into it than many new condos in the city.

I can't see how this won't be an improvement over that apartment building that's being demolished now. It looked like an elementary school built in the '50s.

Back