Toronto 399 Yonge | 252.3m | 75s | Capital Developments | Teeple Architects

Looking more closely at the rendering, I think the facade is going to have more of a 3 dimensional texture than at first glance, like that Maple House tower at Canary Landing.

Toronto Model 07-27-23 399 Yonge.png

Last edited:
A pic of the site, buildings all vacated on the Yonge side, on April 22nd, 2024:

DSC03428.jpg

I hope we're not looking at another 10 St. Mary situation here, where the proponent sits on vacant retail for years on end.....

While a Notice of Complete Application was issued for the Site Plan - NOAC has not.

No permits have been applied for, or needless to say, granted.

A pic of the site, buildings all vacated on the Yonge side, on April 22nd, 2024:

View attachment 558474

I hope we're not looking at another 10 St. Mary situation here, where the proponent sits on vacant retail for years on end.....

While a Notice of Complete Application was issued for the Site Plan - NOAC has not.

This corner will be so different now these shops are vacant...

This corner will be so different now these shops are vacant...

That corner has changed a lot through the years.........the building that's there now (corner) was a movie theatre decades ago.

While true everywhere, perhaps no more so than in Toronto - "Change is the only constant"

View attachment 558474

Capital is selling this, why would they be applying for permits?

So Boston Pizza is gone? They just renovated the red brick heritage building and added the fourth floor like 4 years ago. New condo sales just hit 15 year low, developers won't be able to get 70% sales needed to start the project anytime soon. Unless this is a rental? This site will surely sit empty for years. Why not continue to lease the space until conditions improve? Congratulations to the owner/developer for turning a prime corner of downtown Yonge into a desolate wasteland worthy of Buffalo!

So Boston Pizza is gone? They just renovated the red brick heritage building and added the fourth floor like 4 years ago. New condo sales just hit 15 year low, developers won't be able to get 70% sales needed to start the project anytime soon. Unless this is a rental? This site will surely sit empty for years. Why not continue to lease the space until conditions improve? Congratulations to the owner/developer for turning a prime corner of downtown Yonge into a desolate wasteland worthy of Buffalo!
Not to age you or anything, but the Boston Pizza opened in 2017, 7 years ago.

It's. For. Sale. \/

Not my point PE..

My point was that they obviously terminated all the leases; seemingly with a 'GO' plan.

That GO plan could be a prospective buyer.

But I object either way to leaving these buildings vacant for years. I think there should a be a punitive tax on commercial vacancy where the owner cannot show the site to be under active construction or active efforts to lease.

This is really injurious to the life of the street.

Not my point PE..

My point was that they obviously terminated all the leases; seemingly with a 'GO' plan.
It's almost like something happened in the Toronto real estate market like 1.5 years ago that threw everything into flux...
That GO plan could be a prospective buyer.

But I object either way to leaving these buildings vacant for years. I think there should a be a punitive tax on commercial vacancy where the owner cannot show the site to be under active construction or active efforts to lease.

This is really injurious to the life of the street.
I don't disagree, but that's never going to happen. I'd love to introduce a 'tax by lot width' a la Amsterdam, but that's not the world we live in...

Back