Toronto 354 Pape Avenue | 39.67m | 10s | Sigma | IBI Group

New docs posted January 5:

The revised proposal continues to contemplate a triangular-shaped residential/mixed-use devlopment. The revised proposal consists of a 10-storey (34.67 metres plus 5.0 metres to the top of a mechanical penthouse) mid-rise building. The building will contain 3,234 square metres of gross floor area, 330 quare metres of which is non-residential GFA (250 square metres of office space and 80 square metres of at-grade retail space), and 41 residential units, resulting in a density of approximately 3.5 Floor Space Index (FSI)

Architect is now IBI:

1646097619374.png

There's also this rendering in the Rail Safety report…

View attachment 382611

…but is seems to be from before the proposal was increased to 10 storeys. Still, it's newer than the ollllllld stuff.

A row of canopy/shade trees, in the midst of the railway ROW? Really?

I don't think so.

LOL

The Rail Safety Report shows Mx won't even permit trees on the private property adjacent within 3.5M of its corridor.

Misleading renders? Who woulda thought?

I'd imagine that the entirety of the west side of Pape Avenue north of Gerrard and South of the tracks extending to the LCBO outlet will re redeveloped once construction starts moving on the Ontario line.

I've heard rumors from some of retail staff at Gerrard Square that the mall is also likely to be redeveloped with condos/offices/mall on one site in the next few years. With the neighbourhood rapidly gentrifying, people want different options .

I have super fond memories of Gerrard Square in the 80's as a kid - especially during Xmas. They used to have a small video game xarcade at the back too. I do agree that area can do with changes though. That bridge looked ugly and tired back when I was kid!

I have super fond memories of Gerrard Square in the 80's as a kid - especially during Xmas. They used to have a small video game xarcade at the back too. I do agree that area can do with changes though. That bridge looked ugly and tired back when I was kid!

I'm just old enough to have childhood memories of the following from Gerrard Square:

1) Miracle Food Mart
2) Steak and Burger (a Cara/Recipe Unlimited brand of resto from the 80s)
3) Hunts Bakery (where my Birthday cakes once came from)

Most trips there were with my mother as she was forever picking up stuff at that Sears store ordered through the Catalogue.

I also remember the now No Frills as a Towers department store (think Zellers) and then as a Knob Hill Farms supermarket; and that same plaza having Consumers Distributing.

I remember that the mall seemed tiny even as a little kid; I also remember every time we drove through the under-mall (but overground) parking, to get to the Parking Garage at the rear, that I felt the need to duck.

It always felt like it had next to no life on the exterior, both on the Gerrard and surface parking (west) sides.

Last edited:
...so they are planning to convert that teeny-tiny industrial site to a residential I gather. Looks bold though! Even for IBI.

I remember visiting friends in the area in the early 82' or so with my then girlfriend (back in the dayI ventured east of Yonge. St only very rarely.) The mall was dowdy even back then. Maybe it's something about malls in general, how they've long catered to cars and how squat and massive they tend to be....all the while exuding a kind of terribly bland ugliness.

New renderings are updated in the database! The architects changed from ATA Architects to IBI Group. The overall building storey count went from 8 storeys to 10 storeys. Total building height increased from 27.60m to 39.67m. The newest proposal included 41 condo units proposed. Finally, the total parking count decreased by 22 parking spaces to 20 parking spaces.

The renderings are taken from the architectural plan via rezoning submission.

PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 4  2022-1.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 4  2022-6.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 4  2022-7.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 4  2022-8.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 4  2022-9.jpg

UT article summary:

Reactions: PMT
I remember visiting friends in the area in the early 82' or so with my then girlfriend (back in the dayI ventured east of Yonge. St only very rarely.) The mall was dowdy even back then. Maybe it's something about malls in general, how they've long catered to cars and how squat and massive they tend to be....all the while exuding a kind of terribly bland ugliness.

No love for T-Shirt Gallery then, I'd gather. ;)

20200203_144239.jpg

Back