Toronto 350 Bloor East | 209.07m | 63s | Osmington Gerofsky | Hariri Pontarini

Wonder if Greenwin Square across the street will be next for redevelopment. Not a tear-down, but ‘vertical extension’ like this (especially the office tower).

No inside scoop here, but I would say that's unlikely for a number of reasons.

The office component at Greenwin is about 85% leased, that's a steady stream of income that would be displaced in all liklihood during any residential component add-on; any displacement within the existing tower of office space
(for a new elevator core and structure) would likely result in a requirement to build more replacement office space as well.

Add to that the separation distance to the east is relatively tight. Which complicates things. There's wide open room to the west, but if I were infilling on that side...........

I'd be more interested in the residential side, that's because there is some room there to get creative and re-arrange the massing and probably grab another 15,000 buildable GFA for each existing floor, plus whatever additional height you can add.

The office component at Greenwin is about 85% leased, that's a steady stream of income that would be displaced in all liklihood during any residential component add-on; any displacement within the existing tower of office space
(for a new elevator core and structure) would likely result in a requirement to build more replacement office space as well.

Add to that the separation distance to the east is relatively tight. Which complicates things. There's wide open room to the west, but if I were infilling on that side...........

I'd be more interested in the residential side, that's because there is some room there to get creative and re-arrange the massing and probably grab another 15,000 buildable GFA for each existing floor, plus whatever additional height you can add.

The residential tower at Greenwin will be getting a large scale mural on its north wall within the year.

I was thinking more along the line of the Residences of 488 University extension, where they kept the office tower operational while they were building the tower above. Of course that might be possible with the residential tower as well, although I don't know if safety concerns (being residential) would rule that out. Tearing down and replacing the residential tower with a taller tower seems unlikely here, as that would mean hundreds of tenants would be displaced.

Tearing down and replacing the residential tower with a taller tower seems unlikely here, as that would mean hundreds of tenants would be displaced.

See 25 St. Mary; if you can add enough new tenants/condos, the numbers can be made to work (however unfortunate that may be for existing renters)

I think it's official: we've been spoiled rotten this week with great proposals ... but this just went to the top of my list.

Can't wait to see the material palette. Just love this.

Shadow Impact study on the Rosedale Ravine will be interesting;
If planning objects to shadows on a ravine covered in trees (known as shade I believe)... I have a hitman on speed dial.

Toronto Model 08-17-22 350 Bloor E.png

Nice that the tower compliments the podium with punctured thick precast concrete cladding around the windows. Which is very rare to see these days for the towers in this citylol! As seen clearly in the thumbnail photo info box on the very top of this page!

If planning objects to shadows on a ravine covered in trees (known as shade I believe)... I have a hitman on speed dial.

LOL, but you do know that the trees providing the shade require sun to survive, right?

Just sayin.

Now, I haven't audited the species present here..........but maybe on my next walk.........

But there are species that could deal w/any shadow that might be cast.......

Hence why I suggested any impact can be mitigated...

(psst, Rosedale Valley is full of Norway Maple, which is non-native and invasive and is a problem, in part, because its shade is too dense for most things native to survive under it)

But I can't say if that applies to this particular slice of land at this point.

I'm not so keen about entertaining of popping off our municipal servants even figuratively if they raise shadowing issues with this either.

...I mean, if they're doing their jobs, so of coarse they'll apply The City standards to this. It's up to the developers to sweeten the deal in a compelling fashion without compromising their vision for this project as best as they can in *dealing with this. No need to get that testy with those trying serve our city's interests for good or bad.

*Note: I am also presuming this is the first renders of this and changes and refinement are likely forth coming.

Proposals are only as good as those behind them. OG are not the owners here, just the DM. And while they've gotten an excellent concept from an excellent firm, it's up to Rogers to properly fund it. This one has been through some torture behind the scenes and while I'm certainly hopeful for a great outcome, it's still too deep in the woods to celebrate a victory.

Back