Toronto 346 Davenport | 36.27m | 9s | Freed | RAW Design

Looks like this will remain dormant for a while:

April 5, 2020

20200405_103818.jpg
20200405_103834.jpg

Looks like this will remain dormant for a while:

April 5, 2020

View attachment 239738View attachment 239739
We received an email stating Covid-19 will further delay this project 30 days! 30 days would be a pleasure...we’ve been waiting 2 1/2 years for this project to even start! Last time ever buying preconstruction! Such a small project and such a long wait! So so so annoying!

Last edited by a moderator:
We received an email stating Covid-19 will further delay this project 30 days! 30 days would be a pleasure...we’ve been waiting 2 1/2 years for this project to even start! Last time ever buying preconstruction! Such a small project and such a long wait! So so so annoying!

Hang in there. This is my third preconstruction, and delays are a normal part of the game. My first preconstruction took 8 years from deposit to registration, and it was only a 32-unit building.

COVID-19 will only slow things further.

I knew that this was just a legal obligation on their part but, it doesn’t make it any easier to swallow! I just hope that I live long enough to be able to take possession!

Finally...some activity!!! Let’s hope it moves quickly from this point on!

Attachments

• 83ADF5F7-2576-44F9-9DBC-88C05702F04F.jpeg
    83ADF5F7-2576-44F9-9DBC-88C05702F04F.jpeg
    286.7 KB · Views: 312
  • 5D5D10E9-42B9-4CC1-8837-23E321B58828.jpeg
    5D5D10E9-42B9-4CC1-8837-23E321B58828.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 346
Hmm...after comparing those two most recent sets of photos a bit closer, it looks like the equipment present around May 16-ish were there only to paint the neighbouring building's side wall to a solid grey. There's been no substantial indicators that shoring has resumed yet.

Last edited:
The longer they delay starting construction, the more likely this project gets cancelled, right?
It's been about five years since sales now I think ... and no construction start on the horizon

The longer they delay starting construction, the more likely this project gets cancelled, right?
It's been about five years since sales now I think ... and no construction start on the horizon

There's no definite interpretation to this but it certainly doesn't help that this keeps getting delayed. The main criteria that comes to mind are permits, budget and resources. However, they already had shoring equipment on site before the pandemic shutdown so I reckon they have shoring permits in general.

As a side note, here's an interesting takeaway from this article about Freed back in early March 2020. He's no longer focusing on small projects moving forward, and has shifted to a larger development focus. Although the understanding is that 346 Davenport was still to be maintained as they mention that construction had just started.

“I don’t know if we’re going to do many small projects anymore,” Freed chief executive officer Peter Freed told RENX during an interview at the company’s downtown penthouse office overlooking the city. “It’s too much work. You can apply the same amount of energy and time (as) on a larger project, and you can only do so many.

“Historically we’ve done many small buildings, 80,000- to 120,000-square-foot buildings with 100 units or 80 units. We would rather do master-planned communities that have commercial and residential, with multiple towers in them, if possible.”

---------
Construction has started on 346 Davenport, a RAW-designed, nine-storey, 35-unit luxury condo on Davenport Road just south of Dupont Street being built in partnership with Trolleybus Urban Development Inc.

I think it is some sort of waterproofing as it is the zero lot line to the building owned by the city of Toronto. I believe that is the women’s shelter.

Back