Toronto 346 Davenport | 36.27m | 9s | Freed | RAW Design

Looks like they are renovating it and turning it into a women's shelter instead now (according to my cousin). He bought an apartment here (2 bedroom, 1700 square feet) and I'm thinking about renting it out from him when I move full-time to Toronto. He will give me a good deal and it is a 15 minute walk to my work and close to Whole Foods, where my wife shops all the time. We are not going to have a car, we will walk, use the subway, and Uber.

Anyone live near a women's shelter before? Is it quiet or rowdy? I find it quite foolish for the government to build a shelter in such an expensive neighborhood.

Finish and quality should be very good because apparently the builder's mother will live here too!

He's gonna give you a good deal because the reality is that most people (if they can help it) including the demographic that are buying or renting in the area want nothing to do with being next to a shelter which is inevitably going to mean it's going to be difficult to rent out or sell .... that's a fact, there is a stigma attached to being close to or next to a shelter, whether people will admit this is a whole other story. There has been one vandalism incident on Davenport and one break in since this place opened, is it a coincidence? maybe. The people that are preaching about opening shelters or making a fuss about those complaining that this is not the right place for a shelter are the same people that if it really came down to a choice of being near a shelter or not, they would choose the latter.

Last edited:
He's gonna give you a good deal because the reality is that most people (if they can help it) including the demographic that are buying or renting in the area want nothing to do with being next to a shelter which is inevitably going to mean it's going to be difficult to rent out or sell .... that's a fact, there is a stigma attached to being close to or next to a shelter, whether people will admit this is a whole other story. There has been one vandalism incident on Davenport and one break in since this place opened, is it a coincidence? maybe. The people that are preaching about opening shelters or making a fuss about those complaining that this is not the right place for a shelter are the same people that if it really came down to a choice of being near a shelter or not, they would choose the latter.

I lived in this neighbourhood a couple years back and even bickered with someone on UT who made similar claims to you about the social housing apartment. They claimed it was the source of a bunch of break-ins, robberies etc. I'll say the same thing now as I did then - the only people who ever caused me trouble in that neighbourhood were the ultra-wealthy assholes who would drive expensive and loud cars up and down Avenue Road all night long. I was never harassed, my apartment was never broken into. Hell, my only experience with anyone from that building was a woman whose child was throwing a tantrum and asked me to help pick him up - which I thought was hilarious.

To add, I lived in Kensington for a year and regularly passed the shelter at College and Spadina on my way to and from shifts. I worked odd hours and saw that intersection at varying times of the day and, again, I rarely found the homeless people in that area to be difficult. Sure they could be noisy and there were definitely some individuals who gave off a menacing/weird vibe but you get that from non-homeless strangers too. Once again, it was non-residents (by which I mean people partying and drinking in the neighbourhood) who caused any troubles for me.

All of this is to say that if I moved back to Toronto and could get the apartment I had in this area, I'd take it in a heartbeat. I sincerely doubt the neighbourhood has changed in any appreciable way with this shelter. Some new residents and a new use for this property - that's it. The privileged whinging of some users on this forum when they have to confront a by-product of their lifestyle in downtown Toronto is far more aggravating than any experience I've ever had with a homeless person.

No, he will give me a good deal because he is my cousin and also because he is quite wealthy. I think he paid $2.5 million for this. He didn't tell me, but his father (my uncle) did, I don't know how accurate that is. He owns quite a lot of apartments as investments, this one just happens to be the biggest and nicest.

I'm not so concerned about vandalism because the building will probably have security. I am mainly concerned about noise. I like it quiet.

My cousin sent me this article about the shelter, he said they do this kind of stuff in New York too.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/19/a-homeless-shelter-is-coming-to-billionaires-row/

They are opening a shelter right next to a building with $100 million apartments!

Closing date at 348 Davenport was May 7 2018 with a purchase price of $6,900,000. Previous owner had bought it for $5,500,000 in 2014 and listed it for $7,999,000 from Sept 2016 through Dec 2017 so city maybe thinks they got a deal?

August 24 2018: demolition officially underway
20180824_122620.jpg
20180824_122624.jpg
20180824_122632.jpg
20180824_122639.jpg

Attachments

• 20180824_122620.jpg
    20180824_122620.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 1,109
  • 20180824_122624.jpg
    20180824_122624.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 1,131
  • 20180824_122632.jpg
    20180824_122632.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 1,096
  • 20180824_122639.jpg
    20180824_122639.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 1,121
The prior policy was to squeeze them all in the downtown east area between Yonge Street and Parliament Street so that the precious rich middle class wouldn't have to face their existance, which was pathetic. Spreading these facilities around is the right approach instead of concentrating them in a single area is the right approach. No more ghettos.

I think the right approach is to locate them adjacent to hospitals.

For all those people that are offended too easily, I'm surprised nobody has complained that this place accepts women only. discrimination and all that, no?!

Back