Toronto 34 Southport | 99m | 29s | State Building Group | Richmond Architects

Today

20210611_180217.jpg

Another collection of urban shoeboxes, a trend that will soon be passe? Years of noisy, messy construction for other Southport Residents, that's for sure.

This would have made a lovely park! Opportunity lost. Developers win again.
This is the part of Toronto with the most park area in the city! What this neighborhood doesn't have is retail which impacts the walk score.

I agree that public realm could be designed better and that more retail was lost from the old plaza than it is gained with this project, but that is a separate conversation.

This has been a condo site in various forms for 15 years now, it was never going to be a park. What are you talking about?
I know that, but my hope was that, as many young families are having to live in condos now, that there would have been some outdoor space on site for little kids to play in, which I do not see in the developers' ground plan. It's a long walk to High Park for a mother with a stroller to push, plus toddlers. I am 80 years old, but I always remember my own struggles when my kids were small, happy times, but also difficult.

I know that, but my hope was that, as many young families are having to live in condos now, that there would have been some outdoor space on site for little kids to play in, which I do not see in the developers' ground plan. It's a long walk to High Park for a mother with a stroller to push, plus toddlers. I am 80 years old, but I always remember my own struggles when my kids were small, happy times, but also difficult.
Humber river and Ormskirk Park are just few minutes from this site.

Waterfront is really close as well, although the walk to it could be nicer.

Rennie park and Swansea Field are just by the school, which is also walking distance.

I wouldn't say that it's a long walk to High Park either. But one can still take one stop of streetcar, if needed.

There are so many other parkettes and ponds in the area, not to mention that all the buildings surrounding this site have their own private parks.

All in all, Swansea is probably the greenest neighborhood in Toronto, which is why so many families are living there. What it lacks is urban amenities.

However, you are probably right that there should be a better public realm included in this development and maybe something for the kids as well, but those kids will finally have an option to buy icecream conveniently.

Humber river and Ormskirk Park are just few minutes from this site.

Waterfront is really close as well, although the walk to it could be nicer.

Rennie park and Swansea Field are just by the school, which is also walking distance.

I wouldn't say that it's a long walk to High Park either. But one can still take one stop of streetcar, if needed.

There are so many other parkettes and ponds in the area, not to mention that all the buildings surrounding this site have their own private parks.

All in all, Swansea is probably the greenest neighborhood in Toronto, which is why so many families are living there. What it lacks is urban amenities.

However, you are probably right that there should be a better public realm included in this development and maybe something for the kids as well, but those kids will finally have an option to buy icecream conveniently.

I agree the area is not parks deficient in a larger sense; so many other areas to prioritize over Swansea.

That said, I do think the layout of the streets makes accessing some of the parks rather more cumbersome than it ought to be.

Lets look at access to Rennie Park from Windermere:

1624481685291.png

A bit over 560M if you follow public streets.

Of course, it is currently possible to cut through various private streets, but many people may not be comfortable doing that.

IF you went from point to point by the most direct route, without knocking down a large building..................you cut the distance to less than 200M

1624481886782.png

I'm not advocating for that particular route; which would obviously be pedestrian/cyclist only.

But I would argue for punching at least one new E-W road in to connect Windermere to Coe Hill.

Likewise Omskirk could use a punch through (pedestrian/cycle only) to Southport as that would shave 100M off the route for people in the apartments.

The area could also probably use a formalized dog-off-leash area near the apartments, and perhaps a Community Garden (perhaps there is one I'm missing, as we're outside my usual stomping grounds).

Those things exist in High Park but are 'up hill' and 2-2.5km away.

I agree the area is not parks deficient in a larger sense; so many other areas to prioritize over Swansea.

That said, I do think the layout of the streets makes accessing some of the parks rather more cumbersome than it ought to be.

Lets look at access to Rennie Park from Windermere:

View attachment 330000

A bit over 560M if you follow public streets.

Of course, it is currently possible to cut through various private streets, but many people may not be comfortable doing that.

IF you went from point to point by the most direct route, without knocking down a large building..................you cut the distance to less than 200M

View attachment 330002

I'm not advocating for that particular route; which would obviously be pedestrian/cyclist only.

But I would argue for punching at least one new E-W road in to connect Windermere to Coe Hill.

Likewise Omskirk could use a punch through (pedestrian/cycle only) to Southport as that would shave 100M off the route for people in the apartments.

The area could also probably use a formalized dog-off-leash area near the apartments, and perhaps a Community Garden (perhaps there is one I'm missing, as we're outside my usual stomping grounds).

Those things exist in High Park but are 'up hill' and 2-2.5km away.
Don't get me wrong. I agree that a lot of improvements can be done.

There are few additional improvements I would like to see as well.

Like being able to access the Waterfront following Humber river. Currently, there is a small part (under Gardiner I believe), that is not accessible. This would link this area to Humber bridge.

Also, Humber river is beautiful in this part, but it is not convenient, nor safe to explore. Some boardwalks and an observation tower could make this a destination. Currently people climb a steep and unsafe hill to enjoy the views.

Finally, in a way, this is a historical epicenter of Toronto and there should be something more than a sign next to a gas station. Attached below:

20210323_185101.jpg

Don't get me wrong. I agree that a lot of improvements can be done.

There are few additional improvements I would like to see as well.

Like being able to access the Waterfront following Humber river. Currently, there is a small part (under Gardiner I believe), that is not accessible. This would link this area to Humber bridge.

Also, Humber river is beautiful in this part, but it is not convenient, nor safe to explore. Some boardwalks and an observation tower could make this a destination. Currently people climb a steep and unsafe hill to enjoy the views.

Finally, in a way, this is a historical epicenter of Toronto and there should be something more than a sign next to a gas station. Attached below:

View attachment 330036

The west side of the River already has a trail under the Gardiner; but the trail doesn't have a gap in the 'marshes' area.

As this area is very ecologically sensitive, trail here, if possible, will be pricey, as it will likely come in the form of metal boardwalk.

That said, closing the gap is in the TRCA's Trail Strategy, and will likely come forward in the next few years.

For now, this is what exists on the west side:

1624487742408.png

Trail on the east side of the Humber already goes under the Gardiner (built last year, I think).....

Not sure if they've got it under the rail embankment yet. (as at October 2020, they had not))

1624487329769.png

Trail on the east side of the Humber already goes under the Gardiner (built last year, I think).....

Not sure if they've got it under the rail embankment yet. (as at October 2020, they had not))
I think you're right. The missing part is under the rail and not Gardiner. Thanks for the correction

Discussion last week with a worker on site. They indicated that the first tower sold out in a week. Also indicated that the builder is seeking an amendment to the plan to remove the townhouses and add a third tower. So this project may be changing and density may be increasing. I’m ok with it if they contribute to better access to the lake and river.

Discussion last week with a worker on site. They indicated that the first tower sold out in a week. Also indicated that the builder is seeking an amendment to the plan to remove the townhouses and add a third tower. So this project may be changing and density may be increasing. I’m ok with it if they contribute to better access to the lake and river.

Interesting.................

They just filed new architecture plans and other supporting documents on April 26th of this year.

In those, there are no material changes (some minor landscaping amendments and some housekeeping on the transportation study)...

If they would fix the access to the lake and river and if there is a direct trail to the lake following Swansea side of Humber, I would be ok if they are building 3 super talls 🙂

Back