Toronto 34-50 King East | 112.36m | 33s | Larco | a—A

I'd like to know the provenance of the existing 34-36 King--given the IBM showroom once in there, I'm even wondering whether Elliot Noyes had some say in the design...

I'd like to know the provenance of the existing 34-36 King--given the IBM showroom once in there, I'm even wondering whether Elliot Noyes had some say in the design...
I am only now making the connection that this classic Toronto photo is the building in question. Thanks @adma

Toronto-KingSt-Datacenter-1.jpg

*Source

34kinggoogle.JPG

Attachments

• 34kinggoogle.JPG
    34kinggoogle.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 1,872
33 storey/133 meters

34 KING ST E
Ward 28 - Tor & E.York District

Rezoning application to permit a 33-storey mixed use office and residential building with ground floor retail. The proposal includes the conservation of the existing 5-storey heritage listed Quebec Bank building on-site as part of the development. The proposal include 219 residential rental units, 10,261 square metres of non-residentail space, 78 parking spaces in a 5-level underground garage, and 269 bicycle parking spaces.
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Rezoning 16 159562 STE 28 OZ May 20, 2016 Under Review

▼ Supporting Documentation

Last edited:
112.6 metres actually.

The three of us guessed the architects wrong. It's architectsAlliance. dataBase file established, linked at the top of the page, with six renderings to ponder!

Seems like there are a lot of (competing?) design elements evident in those renders. I'm sure they'll be refined, but I hope they're in the direction of simplifying.

Old brick building = heritage and is saved while mid-century modern = nothing and gets razed. Both should be saved.
Well put. I have always feared for this great example of mid-century modernist architecture.

Just came across this listing on MLS for a cafe located on the property. Coincidence?
VERY oddly worded it is too: If the current owner can't cook it may explain his/her retirement!

Potential To Add Any Kind Of Food, Or Liquor License Or Add More Famous Brandy Coffer To Attract The More Customers. The Seller Can't Cook, Retired.

Back