Toronto The Whitfield | 130m | 39s | Menkes | Giannone Petricone

Why would they remove the east and west side balconies? Was this requested by the community or is this simply a design change? The link above for the site plan approval isn't working for me.
I believe that planning considered the massing of the original proposal to be too bulky, so they slimmed it down partially by eliminating the east and west balconies.

The base has been revised again:

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 8.27.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 8.28.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 8.28.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 8.28.30 AM.png

Interesting that they backed off of retaining the existing buildings at base (which I can agree with as they're not particularly attractive), but instead replicate their massing (which I agree with).

Should help break up the grain and serve as a departure from the megapodiums that are going to dominate this corner.

Hi guys, I'm thinking about renting in the building next door (King+, 39 Sherbourne) and was wondering when construction of 33 Sherbourne will start? I couldn't find an official date, but based on your experience, when do you think they will lay ground? My view would be West (downtown view) but I'm not sure if I can stand the construction noise right next door all day when working from home. Thanks!!!

The building across the street took 8+ years from the time a thread here was started until they started excavation for real. A similar pace would put this one quite a few years from starting construction. But there is a building under construction right now under the balcony of whatever you're considering renting:

New docs posted July 4:

1597099214647.png

1597099243589.png

1597099264534.png

1597099315538.png

Even if they tear down the gas station this year, wouldn't it take years of remediation before they can start building on the site?

Even if they tear down the gas station this year, wouldn't it take years of remediation before they can start building on the site?
They have two choices, excavate to bed-rock (or further) as was done at 158 Front (where there had been a TTC and then a Greyhound garage for decades) or dig down a little and cover the (contaminated) earth with an impervious membrane (as was done at Time and Space across the street). Obviously all soil that is removed will be remediated (off-site).

I'm not sure, but I would think the remdiation would happen off-site, since they would dig out all the soil under the gas station anyway.

Back