Toronto 316 Bloor West | 121.14m | 37s | State Building Group | Kirkor

The cultural footprint of Bloor/ Madison is hundreds of drunken/ high loogans spilling in and out of the Madison tavern every weekend. May a 500+ micro-unit development clean up this corner? Could it be a 21st century Rochdale College? Undecided.
I'd rather have another Madison on that corner, then a micro-unit building that people actually pay tens of thousand to live in. It's amazing what people accept from developers who continue to s**** them, knowing very well that if they build people will come no matter what.

Just a reminder that this is tonight:

316 Bloor Street West

Date: Thursday April 2nd
Time: 6:30-8:30p.m.
Location: University of Toronto Schools, Sidney Smith Building (100 St. George St.), Rm. SS1085

Note - City Planning will also be present to give an update on the development of a planning policy framework for Bloor St., from Walmer Rd to St. George St.

Just a reminder that this is tonight:

316 Bloor Street West

Date: Thursday April 2nd
Time: 6:30-8:30p.m.
Location: University of Toronto Schools, Sidney Smith Building (100 St. George St.), Rm. SS1085

Note - City Planning will also be present to give an update on the development of a planning policy framework for Bloor St., from Walmer Rd to St. George St.

There's a problem with that location. I presume the Sid Smith one is correct.

It would have been better to have been in UTS just across the street from the site: the room at Sid Smith was packed to the rafters.

It was a mostly respectful meeting, with a few neighbours on the edge of screaming. There was pretty much unanimous opposition expressed by those who spoke, pretty much covering too tall/too dense and also "don't touch our park to the north" when the landscape planner hired suggested they would improve what the neighbourhood had built here.

It was stated that the State Building Group does not want to take this to the OMB and that they will continue to talk to find a proposal that will be acceptable to all concerned. The City is targeting the Fall for a final report.

Wherever they settle, it's not going to be a 42-storey building.

It would have been better to have been in UTS just across the street from the site: the room at Sid Smith was packed to the rafters.

It was a mostly respectful meeting, with a few neighbours on the edge of screaming. There was pretty much unanimous opposition expressed by those who spoke, pretty much covering too tall/too dense and also "don't touch our park to the north" when the landscape planner hired suggested they would improve what the neighbourhood had built here.

It was stated that the State Building Group does not want to take this to the OMB and that they will continue to talk to find a proposal that will be acceptable to all concerned. The City is targeting the Fall for a final report.

The room couldn't hold everyone and hope in future larger rooms are use. People sitting on the floor with extra chairs all over the place. People were standing both inside and outside the room.

Huge mistake to talk about the park and more, why was it part of this proposal?? Talking about the park at the beginning of the presentation piss everyone off including me.

I expect this will be a 25-30 story building at best.

Lets call a spade a spade and that this is a student resident building and no families will be living here as well no long term residents. No need for the 10% family units requirement here.

The usuals side track items and the standard bitching took place.

Parking was a hot topic as usual, but it was the locals calling for more parking than the 22/50 spots being proposed. Support the lack of parking. Having more parking will only impact on the local street as well getting onto Bloor.

As for the Metro Store issue, don't shop there at the busies times. The store is small in the first place. More to the point, why isn't there another player in the area as this is a good area for 2-3 stores to chose from for shopping.

State Building Group will work with everyone until the final out come and that will be the point if this goes to the OMB or not.

Last edited:
I bet a lot of property owners are opposed to this so they can keep gauging students with high rent prices.

I bet a lot of property owners are opposed to this so they can keep gauging students with high rent prices.

Gouging. And doubtful, I suspect more are concerned with what amounts to a significant change in the density and built form of the neighbourhood. I still maintain that 42 storeys is far too much right now. At the very least let's build something in between. Also, it's Kirkor. Does anyone really want 42 storeys of Kirkor built with nothing to block it? ...

Ugh. Considering its prominence and transit accessibility, they should be able to build it as tall as they want. A new precedent has to be set for this part of Bloor (and west).

I would hate to see the Annex transformed into an extension of the "Mink Mile". I can think of no worse fate.

People in this city are so stupid. Nothing wrong with 42 storeys here.

I agree. There is no valid reason to oppose densification on a subway line. Again I point to the extreme densification at Yonge and College over the past 10 years and continuing; why there and not elsewhere?

Gouging. And doubtful, I suspect more are concerned with what amounts to a significant change in the density and built form of the neighbourhood. I still maintain that 42 storeys is far too much right now. At the very least let's build something in between. Also, it's Kirkor. Does anyone really want 42 storeys of Kirkor built with nothing to block it? ...

Well, just wait til the neighbourhood hears about what will be proposed over at UTS... if the rumours I've heard turn out to be true. And this was published relatively quietly:
http://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto/education/2015/03/17/uts-expected-to-stay-put-at-u-of-t.html

Also, very surprised at the room chosen for this meeting. Definitely too small.
When the ROM condo was proposed for the planetarium site, a 300-student lecture hall was used for that meeting.

Not a surprise, I guess. I think as long as they get 30 storeys they should be able to get 40+ for the first northern corner of Spadina and Bloor to be redeveloped and then maybe 50 for the one after that. Not as many new people in the area as one might hope for but it’s a start.

People in this city are so stupid. Nothing wrong with 42 storeys here.
An invaluable contribution.

Well, just wait til the neighbourhood hears about what will be proposed over at UTS... if the rumours I've heard turn out to be true. And this was published relatively quietly:
http://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto/education/2015/03/17/uts-expected-to-stay-put-at-u-of-t.html
That article had no information on the scale of the project. Do you know about anything in it that will upset residents as much as you imply? I wasn't quite sure how to interpret your comment.

Back