Toronto 3140 Dufferin | 90.6m | 26s | RioCan | Arcadis

The sign I posted at the back of the TD lot. Moores is listed a 68 apex.
IMG_20160727_082805.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160727_082805.jpg
    IMG_20160727_082805.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,046
At first I thought you were kidding about the streetcar, but now I see that you're actually serious about it. Any kind of streetcar on Dufferin would be an unmitigated, failed disaster in the making (along the levels of the 501).

First of all the route would be fairly long (and the TTC has shown it's ineptness to run any kind of streetcar line properly). Second, any kind of short turning you currently see with the Dufferin bus would be made 10x worse with streetcars because of the first reason I gave. Third, do you really think that blocking 2 lanes of traffic for picking up and offloading passengers would make traffic any better on Dufferin?

The whole Dufferin traffic situation is a tricky one; one that I think would only be solved with either an underground LRT, subway or a parallel LRT/subway on a street like Bathurst or Keele.
how does a parallel LRT/subway on keele or Bathurst solve the issue of transit on Dufferin St?

how does a parallel LRT/subway on keele or Bathurst solve the issue of transit on Dufferin St?
To simply put it, people will take the alternative that is faster and more reliable. Why take the Keele or Bathurst bus which get clogged up in traffic when you would have the option to cut your commute time.

Or in Lehmans terms, take a look at the Bloor Danforth line. People from the north and south have the option to take parallel routes (ie: Lawrence, Eglinton, Queen, Queensway) often times right outside their door but they travel all the way to the subway since it is the faster option.

Well, I have to agree with Wikipedia: layman is an uncommonly misused English word.

Where would Staples, Swiss Chalet, and Tim Hortons be?

Note that the current Swiss Chalet was relocated from between Burger King and Wendy's a few blocks to the southwest.
I would be happy if they relocated to Lawrence Square with the Shoppers Drug Mart on Dufferin.

To be honest, I think Lawrence Square is perceived even worse in an even worse way than that these days.
Winners and Marshalls is helping. In the past I would have avoided the mall but Canadian Tire comes in handy, I need somewhere to grocery shop, and then there is some decent retail. Other people use the gym there and a petshop is going in. All that being said I would much prefer the mall being demolished, developed and have marlee extended.

Having a subway on Dufferin would be completely redundant. The Spadina Subway is located so close to Dufferin Street. It simply does not make sense.
Having said that, Dufferin is such an eclectic street and it needs a comprehensive transit solution to Steeles and beyond into York Region.

A subway up dufferin would be a fair distance from the spadina line up until Eglinton where it would become very close together. The thing is the spadina line will need a relief line in the future and this is a good option as it has one of the busiest bus routes in the city. The problem is that this is where the subway should have been to start and instead the allen was chosen. Im all for converting the ARL to subway but if thats for sure going to be smart track RER then the western relief line doesnt need to go as far west as it would have and then dufferin becomes more of a good solution.

If anything Dufferin would need an LRT at some point, but to be honest, the densities that this point aren't even close to needing a substantial change yet. I live nearby and the traffic people see has to do mostly with people driving from the suburbs to go to Yorkdale and the Orfus Road area. It's (and no offence meant to anyone here) stay at home moms doing their shopping from what I see everyday. We may see some improvement when the Spadina Line finishes up, but I doubt it. These folk tend to see public transit as travel for low income earners only, which to me shows their lack of knowledge of the world, or things they don't know. Can you tell how much I dislike the Yorkdale crowd? Sorry for the rant...

I find it funny that in the 4 years since these posts, Dufferin has seen many many proposals for high density all along the route.

How much more density along Dufferin until something needs to be done?

Back