Hamilton 304 Main Street East | 88.55m | 25s | CT REIT | Arcadis

Going to DRP Sept 12.

Urban Design Brief: https://www.hamilton.ca/sites/default/files/2024-09/DRP-304-314-MainStWest-Urban-Design-Brief.pdf

DRP Presentation: https://www.hamilton.ca/sites/default/files/2024-09/DRP-304-314-MainStWest-DRP-Presentation.pdf
1000011076.png
1000011075.png
1000011069.png
1000011070.png
1000011073.png
1000011072.png
1000011071.png
1000011068.png

no retail but otherwise looks excellent.
Really, really disappointing to see no retail. Could have been an opportunity to expand the store into a two floor location.

I go here regularly as not only is it my favourite CT because it's small, but it's so close to my house. After this goes, there won't be any hardware stores open outside office work hours during the week in the downtown. Even Naborhood Home Hardware closes at 5pm, and doesn't really have the same selection. It's also not really downtown being just north of Tim Hortons field. Really annoying and more of what @DavidCapizzano had spoken about years ago where actual things Hamilton residents need don't exist downtown.

Really, really disappointing to see no retail. Could have been an opportunity to expand the store into a two floor location.

I go here regularly as not only is it my favourite CT because it's small, but it's so close to my house. After this goes, there won't be any hardware stores open outside office work hours during the week in the downtown. Even Naborhood Home Hardware closes at 5pm, and doesn't really have the same selection. It's also not really downtown being just north of Tim Hortons field. Really annoying and more of what @DavidCapizzano had spoken about years ago where actual things Hamilton residents need don't exist downtown.
Yeah I really love this proposal but no retail is pretty obscene here. Even if it's a below-grade space like the existing Canadian Tire is that would be fine.

Very confusing considering the model for a downtown Canadian Tire has already been established in Toronto, and no retail at all is just damning. Reading the brief they are at least proposing the ground floor units as live/work, but I hope the city pushes back to get retail here and I hope they have the foresight to mandate ground floor retail for buildings fronting larger streets in the downtown area zoning.

The design is great, I even enjoy they are simulating the old modernist gas station canopy with the alley way - that's a nice touch. The project mood board is hilarious but apt:
1725974633818.png

They aren't realistically going to get a modern Canadian Tire on this property footprint, I don't think, at least not at great expense. The floorplate needs are too great for what is really a relatively small site.

I would love for them to try, but I think general retail space is likely the best we can hope for here.

They aren't realistically going to get a modern Canadian Tire on this property footprint, I don't think, at least not at great expense. The floorplate needs are too great for what is really a relatively small site.

I would love for them to try, but I think general retail space is likely the best we can hope for here.
I mean, CT could just not build a sprawling 40,000sqft store. The existing store honestly is fine, but I guess the 4 rows of scrub daddy isn't enough and they won't open a store with any less than 150 scrub daddy's, 43 vacuums, 85 rolls of paper towel, etc on the shelf. Having a reasonable amount of stuff on the shelf is in the past.

Ironic considering big box store retail is struggling.

Ironic considering big box store retail is struggling.
There’s the reasoning. Their urban stores aren’t doing well either. Dont expect to see many new stores. If anything, expect to see more small stores close and consolidate with larger stores.

No excuse for zero retail though. There absolutely should be some retail included.

There’s the reasoning. Their urban stores aren’t doing well either. Dont expect to see many new stores. If anything, expect to see more small stores close and consolidate with larger stores.

No excuse for zero retail though. There absolutely should be some retail included.
What evidence do you have that their urban stores aren't doing well? Their net income is up and their stock value is doing well enough.

Has there been reports of urban store closures or issues?

They probably cant fit a loading dock for the Canadian Tire and a loading area for the residential component. The City has a by-law no commercial loading on the municipal right-of-way.

What evidence do you have that their urban stores aren't doing well? Their net income is up and their stock value is doing well enough.

Has there been reports of urban store closures or issues?
I can’t reveal my source without outing myself, so just gonna have to go with trust me.

They probably cant fit a loading dock for the Canadian Tire and a loading area for the residential component. The City has a by-law no commercial loading on the municipal right-of-way.
I really don't understand this. The property currently has a gas station, a CT store and a CT vehicle repair spot with 8 bays. It is nearly 50,000sqft of property. If they can't fit a two storey CT with 10,000sqft per floor (almost double the current store's square footage without the vehicle repair docks) + a lobby, mail room, residential and commercial loading space they may need to hire a new layout planner. I mean for God sake the property is an entire block. If 100,000sqft is the minimum property size for a decent retail unit then Hamilton is screwed because unlike Toronto our city blocks aren't as big in most of the downtown, and the financial component to buy up 8 properties just isn't there in Hamilton.

I really don't understand this. The property currently has a gas station, a CT store and a CT vehicle repair spot with 8 bays. It is nearly 50,000sqft of property. If they can't fit a two storey CT with 10,000sqft per floor (almost double the current store's square footage without the vehicle repair docks) + a lobby, mail room, residential and commercial loading space they may need to hire a new layout planner. I mean for God sake the property is an entire block. If 100,000sqft is the minimum property size for a decent retail unit then Hamilton is screwed because unlike Toronto our city blocks aren't as big in most of the downtown, and the financial component to buy up 8 properties just isn't there in Hamilton.
Maybe, the layout they have right now from the DRP presentation does suck for truck maneuverability. The City requires all loading vehicles to enter and exit in a forward motion so an 18 wheeler truck maneuvering internally to reverse into a loading dock will eat up a lot of ground floor space.

Maybe, the layout they have right now from the DRP presentation does suck for truck maneuverability. The City requires all loading vehicles to enter and exit in a forward motion so an 18 wheeler truck maneuvering internally to reverse into a loading dock will eat up a lot of ground floor space.
That's not true. In Hamilton they can back in or out. Toronto is the one that requires them to turn around inside.

Also 18-wheelers are not allowed in this area of the city.

Depends. I doubt Hamilton Transportation would let a loading truck back onto Main Street. West Street though? Probably. Plus this site has a laneway too, which even Toronto allows trucks to back onto.

The loading here is fine anyway as a result of the lane.

Back