Toronto 300 Front Street West | 156.05m | 49s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

You guys won't be satisfied unless the TD Centre is demolished and replaced by the Tridel Centre. Why not accept the fact that not every street can or should be lined with stores and hopping with people at 3am?

I won't be satisfied until Tridel unleashes its evil phase 2 for its CBD domination plan: hundreds of 15-storey sentinel robots to police and destory all creatures awake at 3am.

I'm not sure who "you people" are but my point is that diversity in the CBD is better than isolated districts/divisions of single uses.

This site is prime for office use, agreed. But I also think that Front St. would benefit more with a condo in this site given that the building is surrounded by office uses - for many of the reasons I have described above.

I don't mind a condo here so long as they would allow offices in neighbourhoods that are mainly residential. A couple of office towers at City Place would have been welcome IMHO.

I don't mind a condo here so long as they would allow offices in neighbourhoods that are mainly residential. A couple of office towers at City Place would have been welcome IMHO.

Great point.

As for diversity excluding business, um... poor point? I get that you feel (strongly) that this site can only be office use. I'm not convinced.

Although wouldn't it be excellent if perhaps both were settled - lets say the first 20 stories office and the top residential? Such thinking might just rock the foundation of all our civilization is based on. It would also interfere with Tridel's evil phase 2, and us people really don't want that now do we?

We should also keep all clubs and other entertainment venues within one "district" and not let anyone build a club anywhere else in the city. Wouldn't that be a great idea, guys?

Guys?

I get that you feel (strongly) that this site can only be office use. I'm not convinced.

Nope...I never said that. I said that I'd prefer *any* non-residential use and that we should stop throwing every last good site in the city to the condo wolves just to get something built before this construction boom ends. The upside is that this proposed tower is rather attractive, even after being NIMBY'd.

You guys won't be satisfied unless the TD Centre is demolished and replaced by the Tridel Centre. Why not accept the fact that not every street can or should be lined with stores and hopping with people at 3am?

Calm down. Nobody is here to hurt you. We just want to help you. There, there, that's right, lie back, have a good swig of this Chai.

Scarb, seriously, there are still plots 'o' land a'plenty for new office towers in the CBD, especially at the rate it gets absorbed.

New condos will add pedestrians to the sidewalks on Sundays, BTW, and what possible reason could you have for decrying that possibility?

Finally, for all those concerned about the (over)use of the term 'cheapening' on the forum, I do want to remind all that the original term, "The Cheapening娪" is the only authentic and authorized version, it being the only one that is saddled with the weight of both my critical eye and crankiness, or the critical eye and crankiness of other pre-authorized users of the term. One can rest assured that the official version is never thrown around carelessly. Small 'c' cheapening is not cranky-Moderator encouraged, and as a poorly considered use of the term can be considered deleterious to the proper use of the official term, such throwaway usage may result in a yellow-card for the careless practitioner.

one condo at Front & John will do nothing to change the number of pedestrians at King & Bay on a Sunday afternoon.
No, but it will do something to chanage the number of pedestrians at Front & John on a Sunday afternoon.

Seems diversity in the central business district no longer includes business.
The site is surrounded by businesses. Residential would increase diversity on this block, offices would reduce it.

I wish they'd designated a couple lots at Cityplace for commercial. That's not really possible when you sell the whole area to a residential developer though.

More pedestrians at Front/John when the Dome isn't loading or unloading can only be a good thing.

But again, this isn't the last possible site for non-residential development in the core. And given the massive amount of office/non-residential space being built or planned in the CBD, including 151 Front/Station St. and RBC in the direct vicinity I am not convinced that this site shouldn't welcome a condo.

And I'd also like to see office/non-residential development in areas that are primarily residential.

That's not really possible when you sell the whole area to a residential developer though.

Of course it was possible. The city should have insisted upon it when they rezoned the land from industrial. In the same way the city is insisting on office for 16 York.

Calm down. Nobody is here to hurt you. We just want to help you. There, there, that's right, lie back, have a good swig of this Chai.

In other words: Dissension in the ranks! Quick! Snuff it out!

The site is surrounded by businesses. Residential would increase diversity on this block, offices would reduce it.

I can't wait till every block has its condo. A world where dry cleaners and a Subway don't exist on every block is a world I'm not sure I want to live in.

Of course it was possible. The city should have insisted upon it when they rezoned the land from industrial. In the same way the city is insisting on office for 16 York.

That kind of talk isn't popular around here...

Hehe. Sorry 42. I'll make sure I use the proper use of Cheapening in all future uses. My bad.

Back