Toronto 255 Morningside | 98.75m | 28s | First Capital | Diamond Schmitt

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New to the AIC is this application for a partial redevelopment of the Morningside Crossing Plaza owned by First Capital, located at the intersection of Kingston Road and Morningside Avenue.
This application only seeks to redevelop a current KFC/Taco Bell and former Shoeless Joe's at the corner of Lawrence and Morningside at the extreme south-west of the property.

A Block Context Plan shows the possible course of future redevelopment of the entire site, but is not submitted as a Masterplan for consideration with this application.

Site as is:

1666876253840.png

1666876292847.png

The App:

1666876336269.png

From the Docs:

1666876423300.png

1666876476345.png

1666876546068.png

1666876592545.png

Ground Floor Plan:

1666876651945.png

1666876753007.png

Block Context Plan: (note that this is mostly the applicant's property, but it is not being submitted as a Masterplan tied to this application, only a conceptual build-out:

1666876869085.png

1666876900307.png

Comments:

Very reasonable height ask, for a proposal which would redevelop a portion of a suburban, big-box format plaza with something much more urban.

Good!

Ground Floor Plan/Landscape Plan, very problematic. I would argue strongly for retail along both major roads (Lawrence and Morningside, pretty much in their entirety and reserving any at-grade residential to the site interior.

Instead, we have inordinate space devoted to at-grade residential, partially fronting Morningside, along indoor amenity space also fronting a major road. That's anti-urban, and terrible design, coming from firms that should know better with a client who should have no difficulty filling that retail space. Give me a break.

I'm somewhat concerned about the Block Context Plan for the site not, in fact, being a Masterplan submitted with the application. Whether this site layout and massing make sense, is partially dependent on where future public roads are built and where and how much parkland is created, amongst other things.

It makes little sense to me to decide this in isolation.

That said, the City can't really compel a Masterplan here.

I frankly take some issues w/the Block context plan (I would prefer public roads, where they see private, and would like to see the southern 1/2 of the site further divided by an additional street), but that's for another day.

The Landscape Plan/Site Plan also has some issues. The Morningside frontage is fine, but the Lawrence frontage places the landscaping next to the building, rather than buffering the sidewalk from the adjacent road. This creates a far less pleasant public realm and does not serve the interests of ground-floor animation well.

Finally, we need to talk architecture.............hey, at least there are warm tones, and brick...........but OMG, the towers are KirKor level busy..........from Diamond Schmitt. I like some of the architectural variation for the podium to break things up a bit, but the towers need some serious simplification/editing.

Wow. Will be the nicest buildings in the area and start the ‘gentrification‘ of the area. Losing the entire plaza would be a tough loss for the area though, that plaza is always busy and provides many locals with jobs,

Wow. Will be the nicest buildings in the area and start the ‘gentrification‘ of the area. Losing the entire plaza would be a tough loss for the area though, that plaza is always busy and provides many locals with jobs,

A properly designed replacement community can easily retain all of the existing retail ft2 and jobs and maybe even add a bit more.

Wish they would have gotten this right the first time the plaza was brand new when I moved to the area in 2008. Definitely happy to see more density finally going in though, and the design looks fine enough I think. Hoping for lots of affordable units!

Reactions: JBR
Putting this "conceptual" Block Context Plan in context --- and rolling the dice on that "Future" Eglinton East LRT station... 🎲🎲 ..?

1668204390671.png

Looking at that "conceptual" Block Context Plan - I can't see how that density makes sense in that auto-centric location unless the full Eglinton East Light Rail Transit (ECLRT) project proceeds.

The challenge there is, the business case for EELRT is terrible, as currently conceived.

It doesn't generate significant trip time savings (indeed it might be worse than the existing bus) and would not generate material ridership gains.

That's not to suggest higher order transit isn't required in this area, just that I don't think it can be the current iteration of the EELRT.

Time needs to be taken to assess how to get the performance level up, at a reasonable price point. ie. with the ROW so wide, neither underground, nor elevated makes any sense fiscally, in terms of most/the entire line.

But somehow, the line would have to clear several intersections faster than is currently proposed. I suspect, the probable answer lies in going underground at the Eglinton GO Station and staying under til on Kingston Road. But that's a sizable cost, and has to be weighed in the context of finite transit dollars and other priorities.

An option that might make sense here is to go for the density envisioned for the perimeter of the site. (Morningside/Kingston frontages) but make the interior a tableland park.

The area here is quite rich in valley parks, but not so for sports field type spaces on level ground. Obviously the City would have to purchase anything beyond what the law requires be given as park; but John Tory's protestations to the contrary
money can be found for that, as it can for housing and transit too, if only there was some leadership at City Hall on those files.

The new rendering is updated in the database. The unit changed from 456 units to 523 units. Storey count changed from 25 & 15 storey to 28 & 18 storey. Height changed from 89.00m & 60.50m to 68.00m & 98.50m. The total car parking changed from 230 car parking to 256 car parking. Finally, the total bike parking changed from 344 bike parking to 426 bike parking.

Rendering taken from the architectural plan via rezoning submission.

PLN - Architectural Plans - Architectural Drawings_245 Morningside Avenue-2.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - Architectural Drawings_245 Morningside Avenue-5.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - Architectural Drawings_245 Morningside Avenue-6.jpg

Lets see what else has changed.

Hmmm.

Some minor tweaks to the Block Context Plan, notably widening the ROW of new E-W public street. I still don't like the plan for the private streets, I think they should be public, and and the two segments should align to be one road.

1693493154372.png

A summary of all the changes can be found in the Planning Report addendum:

1693493323492.png

1693493346130.png

The Ground Floor Plan here remains completely unacceptable, the choice to put resident amenity space facing both major roads is egregiously bad, the City should compel retail here or issue a refusal report.

1693493563733.png

The streetscaping on Lawrence continues to be poorly thought out with the landscaping next to the building, instead of buffering pedestrians from traffic.

The overall architecture is still a problem to me as well, it just looks way too busy.

The sheer number of things I view as serious errors here leaves me very unhappy with DS and unimpressed with First Capital here.

This site was the subject of re-submission late last month.

Stat updates are as follows:
  • Heights increased slightly from 98.5 & 68 to 98.75 & 68.25m
  • Total residential units decreased from 523 to 518
  • Total vehicular parking increased from 256 to 259
  • Total bicycle parking reduced from 426 to 398
  • Minor GFA increase

Back