Toronto 25-55 St Clair Avenue East Building Rehabilitation | ?m | 11s | PSPC | DIALOG

It's been like totally kinda forever since anyone has shot construction work on this. If anyone's in the area with a camera, we'd love an update!

It's been like totally kinda forever since anyone has shot construction work on this. If anyone's in the area with a camera, we'd love an update!

If nothing else, I can confirm it's still wrapped in plastic, front and back.(rear view attached) So there might not be much to see. But I'll try to remember to take a photo next time I'm in front of it.
15962292408807594565563642231705.jpg

Setting aside, for one moment, any merits of the original architecture.............

Setting aside for one moment, any shortcomings in the initial renders...............

How does the above compare with this render?

1617713681429.png

it seems to me, that there are problems in this this initial render.............regardless, what we are getting doesn't seem at all like that render to me. I can't say it was materially improved on either.

This is not a condo............you're not supposed to get one thing promised and another delivered.

In this case, I could have lived with a bait and switch, were it an upgrade.............but this, is not that.

I'm a bit less attached to the original that some here; though I saw some merit in it, to be sure.

But if we were going to take that facade down, in order to rehab the building for sustainability reasons, surely we could have put something better than this back up!

A look back at @mcornett 's pic of the original from the previous page.

1617714112992.png

I can see positive design attributes that either could have been brought back in something close to their original form; or thoughtfully alluded to in a new design.

Didn't happen.

Really a need to break up the bulk here. As @AlexBozikovic notes, this thing really is oppressive.

You can see how that bulk was broken up in the original.

There was a reason for that!

Last edited:
You actually can't see the facade in those pics (well, aside from the substantial glass portions). What I assume to be the final facade for the whole building appears to have been put up on the south west corner. It's... nothing to write home about. But it looks more like the render.

Back