Toronto 2323 Yonge | 190.8m | 58s | RioCan | DIALOG

Not all high rise condos are going to be architectural gems. A builder would not build unless there is a market for it. Building up is the only responsible way to achieve more housing which Toronto desperately needs for all demographics. To expand suburbia is just not economical or environmentally friendly. Is this a perfect design? No, but for some it wouldn't matter as there is a "not in my backyard" sentiment. This may not be Affordable housing for many, but for many it would be or the owner would not build it.
While nothing about what you've said is technically incorrect, what I appreciate about UT over the 20 or so years I've called this place home is precisely that while development is good, we don't just want to slovenly accept any mediocrity the suits at places like RioCan try and foister. This proposal sucks. Period. It's lazy garbage from a terrible firm and for you to hand wave that away with platitudes like "yeah but housing is good" is both boring and emblematic of the strange, untutored, 2023+ YIMBY attitude that builders can do no wrong.

I am one, and that's just wrong.

Wow. Guess I ruffled some feathers lol.
I didn't mean to raise the up the blood pressure. Personally I find some of RioCan projects such as The Well quite nice. I imagine this one will likely go through a number of changes, hopefully for the better before it gets approved.

This building looks diseased with a skin infection.
It is. I think we'll soon have the great wall of Riocan in this neighbourhood, and boy, it won't be pretty.
I've said from the start that this building presently on site should be either preserved or given courtesy/major influence into the design language of at least the lower section of this proposal. Development here is inevitable, but I'd hope to see architectural legacy and a good public realm valued in this area/site (especially at the crux of two important streets like here).
That being said, I'm not saying the current street level treatment is anything to emulate, but it can certainly be improved with this redevelopment, opening up and re-activating this building (or well, its facade if they so do in fact actually save part of it, which it seems increasingly unlikely).

I will add one more thing, as off-topic as it may be/better left to the transportation forum. There needs to be some sort of rethink on how this intersection presently functions at Yonge and Roehampton/Orchard View. If we're seeing 2 (possibly 3 one day) corners at this intersection redeveloped, along side the thousands of new residents moving in the coming years, there really should be something more done about addressing the crowding and lack of structure to the signalling regiment in this light. (of course, I do understand there is no easy fix, but something should be done in terms of addressing circulation since the area is only getting busier).

Wow. Guess I ruffled some feathers lol.
I didn't mean to raise the up the blood pressure. Personally I find some of RioCan projects such as The Well quite nice. I imagine this one will likely go through a number of changes, hopefully for the better before it gets approved.
The Well is a JV where each partner pushed the others to a better overall result. Which non-JV RioCan projects do you think are worthy of praise?

...never though t my blood pressure raises when disagreeing with someone. My credulity meter on the other hand...

Back