Toronto 2280 Dundas West | 127.5m | 38s | Choice Properties | Hariri Pontarini

Why does the city not address these things before giving approvals to these high density track side neighbourhoods?
East Liberty Village- King Street West,
Queen West Neighbourhood- West Liberty Village, etc.etc. etc.
This is where they should be building Rail Deck parks not Front and Spadina

I think this railway will be covered in the future. With a park running though on top right to the rail deck park downtown. But it takes time and money.

Just got back from tonight's presentation. Lots of good info presented, and overall a fairly warm reception from the audience, relative to the usual NIMBYfest that these meetings often devolve into.

Urban Strategies and Public Work are still leading planning and landscaping, respectively, but HPA is now in as lead architect (though it was suggested that there would be 4-5 other architects joining them to design the individual buildings -- reminiscent of the Galleria, which came up many times during the presentation).

Total proposed GFA is 265k sq m, broken down into 58k sq m office (3500 jobs), 180k sq m residential (2600 units, of which "at least half" would be some kind of rental), 25k sq m retail, and 65% of the site area dedicated to public realm and open space.

Nine towers total are proposed, at 42, 36, 36, 34, 30, 22, 20, 20, and 14 storeys. All the significant height is concentrated near the north end of the site, and a replacement TCDSB school and a large public park are proposed for the south side, buffering the abutting low-rise residential areas. Along the rail corridor to the east, two curving office buildings are proposed, at 10 and 7 storeys.

The design is proposing a diagonal pedestrian promenade leading southeast from the corner of Bloor and Dundas to the office buildings and parks in the interior of the site. One new street is proposed on Bloor and one on Dundas, plus another pedestrian promenade off Dundas. There is also a proposed underground concourse along Bloor that would lead to a climate-controlled indoor connection under the rail corridor to a southern extension of the Bloor GO/UP station south over Bloor. Very cool. At the northwest corner, they are looking at an underground connection to Dundas West Station, though I imagine that this would be dependent on redevelopment of the former Giraffe site on the corner.

A pedestrian bridge across the rail corridor at the south end of the site is still on the maps, but due to clearances required for electrification and the oblique angle required to get past the townhouse development on the opposite side of the rail corridor, it would be a very expensive link. The number thrown around at the meeting was "at least 20 million", and Councillor Perks was clear that the city would not accept the bridge in lieu of other public benefits.

I didn't take many notes on the landscaping plan, but it seemed pretty impressive. There were four or five different zones around the site with very architect-y names. By the rail corridor, there is proposed to be a large area with wood decking on top of some tech incubator / maker oriented space below grade.

I got some very bad photos of some of the slides, but we were assured that an email would be sent out shortly with the full deck, so expect much better visuals soon. For the benefit of the impatient, here are my terrible photos:
MVIMG_20180418_193732~2.jpg
MVIMG_20180418_195248~2.jpg
MVIMG_20180418_195336~2.jpg

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180418_193732~2.jpg
    MVIMG_20180418_193732~2.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 531
  • MVIMG_20180418_195248~2.jpg
    MVIMG_20180418_195248~2.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 598
  • MVIMG_20180418_195336~2.jpg
    MVIMG_20180418_195336~2.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 582
Last edited:
Beautiful just beautiful I'm impressed ! I still think they still should have the towers sore 50 storeys or more because this multi transit location. The Galleria and Dufferin malls have only a subway or future GO Station beside their locations, and look at the density. The name Juntion Triangle speaks for itself as the meeting place. Not to mention is not too far from High Park. A place where the locals can go to escape the concrete jungle if have to like Central Park in New York City.

Love everything about this proposal so far:

-Not heavily lined with streets, and more focused on the pedestrian realm through the promenades
-Significant office space straddling the rail corridor
-Significant green space which isnt packed in between buildings
-Residential towers arent crammed in back to back right next to each other (ie: there is more than adequate spacing)
-Density is focused on the north end where it should be
-Retail space along both Dundas and Bloor along the actual areas where there is heavier pedesirian activity

This is simply outstanding and it shows they really understand the area well, combined with taking in community concerns. Other developers should really take note because this is how you come up with a true "master planned community". Unlike most other developers who like to toss around that term loosely without knowing what that truly means.

Hard to tell from the photos, but does the school get to retain its sports field / track? Would be cool if the sports field / track were shared with the public.

Hard to tell from the photos, but does the school get to retain its sports field / track? Would be cool if the sports field / track were shared with the public.
The sports field are actually going to go on top of the school. The school itself is stepped and it appeared that you would be able to walk up the outside via stairs, but I will double check once they send out the high quality presentation. Here is a very low quality image from the top.

2280.jpg

Attachments

• 2280.jpg
    2280.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 558
The renders look repulsive. I detest the bulky oversized podiums with multiple towers coming out of them. The continuous complex by the train tracks looks Dubai-esqe.

Why do none of the streets run underneath the tracks and connect to Perth Ave/Sterling? Didn't anyone learn anything from Liberty Village?
At first glance, this looks like it trying to ride on the coattails of 'The Well' - mind you poorly thought out and derivative.

I don't see this as adding any additional roads, than what is already proposed...other than the fact that they would ACTUALLY go somewhere. What is the problem and/or fear with connecting/stitching the grid together?

Why do none of the streets run underneath the tracks and connect to Perth Ave/Sterling? Didn't anyone learn anything from Liberty Village?
At first glance, this looks like it trying to ride on the coattails of 'The Well' - mind you poorly thought out and derivative.
The two new east-west streets don't go under the tracks because on the east side of them is a row of brand new townhomes which are being completed over the next few months. Expropriation is not really an option, and the City already has enough infrastructure plans it can't fund quickly enough to add more. There is a suggestion here that Choice could build a pedestrian bridge over the tracks to connect this redevelopment to the Lower JCT that Castlepoint Numa is building currently, but last night Gord Perks indicated that he didn't want any of the Section 37 money to be dedicated to new infrastructure in the area, he wants it all in social program spending of one sort or another. (He doesn't seem to see improved pedestrian connections in the area as a social benefit.)

Back