Toronto 2150 Lake Shore | 215.75m | 67s | First Capital | Allies and Morrison

Anyone else make it to the public open house tonight? I was there for the 6:30 presentation, and then the talk time afterwards.

The place was packed, and apparently was also packed for a mid-afternoon presentation as well.

The City presented first, with area Councillor Mark Grimes emphasizing that nothing comes until a GO station is built, then handing it off to Sabrina Salatino who is the planner in charge of the file. She mentioned the various studies underway in the area, and gave some time lines.

First Capital's first speaker was Jodi Shpigel, Senior Vice President of Planning for First Capital who gave a broad overview of the vision for the site and introduced those who'd be expanding upon the plans.

Next up was Alun Lloyd, a principal at BA Group, the transportation consultants, who explained what moves had gone into the site planning in regards to mobility for all modes, emphasizing the new relief road, the mutli-modal transit hub, and pedestrian porosity of the site. Very smart to start there so that people understood that the traffic management for the site and the existing neighbourhood is a prime concern.

Then it was on to Alfredo Caraballo, a principal at Allies and Morrison, who lead everyone through the architectural and public realm planning for the area, stressing that after taking into consideration the transportation concerns, especially the new GO Station, they planned the open space system first and then grouped buildings around it.

There were a couple of new renderings—nothing that deviated from the plans we've already seen, just a couple new angles really—and also presented a set of watercolour-type images of the area. He was pretty thorough with the programming ideas behind the three public squares, the major park, and the central galleria area. It looks like a plan is forming up to build a new major library at the centre of it all across the galleria from the central food market, which would likely mean the Humber Bay branch on Park Lawn north of the Queensway would close and move into it. (That would make a lot of people in my area unhappy: just add a new branch and don't close the old one. The current Humber Bay branch is tiny, but it's a close walk for the area north of the Queensway, and that should count for something.)

After Caraballo's talk, Salatino came back up and told everyone that there were displays around the room where they could speak to both City staff and the proponent's people, and plenty of opportunities to leave their comments on sheets set up on tables. We avoided, therefore, the dreaded mic line-up where people tend to prattle on, with a few monopolizing the time typically. With the comment sheets, everyone gets to leave messages, it's much better.

Most comments I saw were positive, (there were some "I love it"s), but other people are concerned with the density to varying degrees. At one point when I was speaking with Ms. Shpigel, someone who lives south of Lake Shore asked her how much it would cost for First Capital to go away. Hahahahahahahahaha. She was very diplomatic in response, but didn't give him any reason for illusions. I provided some counterpoint to his contentions that this would ruin the area, from which he declared that I must be, therefore, a supporter of Don Cherry. Honest to God. I believe I remained polite while explaining how that was the most bizarre conclusion that he could possibly come to and that it was actually backwards, that in my estimation—for example—a new transit hub for the area was the last thing a Don Cherry supporter would care about. Honest to God.

Other than with Mr. Logical Fallacy, it went impressively well.

Anyone else make it to the public open house tonight? I was there for the 6:30 presentation, and then the talk time afterwards.

The place was packed, and apparently was also packed for a mid-afternoon presentation as well.

The City presented first, with area Councillor Mark Grimes emphasizing that nothing comes until a GO station is built, then handing it off to Sabrina Salatino who is the planner in charge of the file. She mentioned the various studies underway in the area, and gave some time lines.

First Capital's first speaker was Jodi Shpigel, Senior Vice President of Planning for First Capital who gave a broad overview of the vision for the site and introduced those who'd be expanding upon the plans.

Next up was Alun Lloyd, a principal at BA Group, the transportation consultants, who explained what moves had gone into the site planning in regards to mobility for all modes, emphasizing the new relief road, the mutli-modal transit hub, and pedestrian porosity of the site. Very smart to start there so that people understood that the traffic management for the site and the existing neighbourhood is a prime concern.

Then it was on to Alfredo Caraballo, a principal at Allies and Morrison, who lead everyone through the architectural and public realm planning for the area, stressing that after taking into consideration the transportation concerns, especially the new GO Station, they planned the open space system first and then grouped buildings around it.

There were a couple of new renderings—nothing that deviated from the plans we've already seen, just a couple new angles really—and also presented a set of watercolour-type images of the area. He was pretty thorough with the programming ideas behind the three public squares, the major park, and the central galleria area. It looks like a plan is forming up to build a new major library at the centre of it all across the galleria from the central food market, which would likely mean the Humber Bay branch on Park Lawn north of the Queensway would close and move into it. (That would make a lot of people in my area unhappy: just add a new branch and don't close the old one. The current Humber Bay branch is tiny, but it's a close walk for the area north of the Queensway, and that should count for something.)

After Caraballo's talk, Salatino came back up and told everyone that there were displays around the room where they could speak to both City staff and the proponent's people, and plenty of opportunities to leave their comments on sheets set up on tables. We avoided, therefore, the dreaded mic line-up where people tend to prattle on, with a few monopolizing the time typically. With the comment sheets, everyone gets to leave messages, it's much better.

Most comments I saw were positive, (there were some "I love it"s), but other people are concerned with the density to varying degrees. At one point when I was speaking with Ms. Shpigel, someone who lives south of Lake Shore asked her how much it would cost for First Capital to go away. Hahahahahahahahaha. She was very diplomatic in response, but didn't give him any reason for illusions. I provided some counterpoint to his contentions that this would ruin the area, from which he declared that I must be, therefore, a supporter of Don Cherry. Honest to God. I believe I remained polite while explaining how that was the most bizarre conclusion that he could possibly come to and that it was actually backwards, that in my estimation—for example—a new transit hub for the area was the last thing a Don Cherry supporter would care about. Honest to God.

Other than with Mr. Logical Fallacy, it went impressively well.

You pretty much described my experience of the night spot on, so now I have almost nothing left to say :(

One difference is in my perception of the crowd. I think you are downplaying the amount of pitchforks that showed up for the event. I almost got pitchforked by an old lady when I put down my comment "tall buildings are not tall enough" under someone's comment "tall buildings are too tall". I quickly tried to explain to her that I'm just trying to dilute all the negativity people leave in their comments. But no matter what I said to her, the look of "I want to skewer you" never went out of her eyes...

I absolutely loved Alfredo Caraballo's presentation. I knew Allies & Morrison guys were thoughtful in their designs, but hearing first hand how they went about their vision for the site was great. I was impressed with their proposal before, but now that I've heard the thought process behind their public realm design, I'm absolutely in love with it.

I lingered around and talked to Alfredo after the presentation (I had to shoo away some of my pitchfork-wielding neighbors just to get close to him). We had a nice talk and I can share some key takeaways that will make most people here pretty optimistic in terms of the architecture of this proposal. Yes, obviously the OPA renderings are just placeholders. However, they do convey the major philosophy of Allies & Morrison architectural designs:
1. Materiality. They don't believe in glass boxes and window-wall construction. Their designs will be very material to satisfy both their architectural vision as well as environmental sustainability targets and building longevity. Expect lots of brick and other wonderful finishing materials here as the result.
2. Cascading/Terraced designs. They are very determined to mitigate wind effects coming off the lake in the winter. That means they will not be putting up rectangular needle-shaped towers. A lot of buildings you see in the renderings are broken-up volumes and have cascading terraced design. This is done precisely for that reason: to break up the wind, create turbulence and calm down wind speeds at the ground level as the result.
3. Public realm first. Human-scaled architecture on the ground level. Wide open streets. Paris-style building massing approach, where the space opens up wider the higher up you go so that you don't feel psychologically boxed-in. View corridors. Pedestrian-oriented. All the good stuff.

Overall, I rate this vision for the site 12/10

You pretty much described my experience of the night spot on, so now I have almost nothing left to say :(

One difference is in my perception of the crowd. I think you are downplaying the amount of pitchforks that showed up for the event. I almost got pitchforked by an old lady when I put down my comment "tall buildings are not tall enough" under someone's comment "tall buildings are too tall". I quickly tried to explain to her that I'm just trying to dilute all the negativity people leave in their comments. But no matter what I said to her, the look of "I want to skewer you" never went out of her eyes...
Not all heroes wear capes!

1. Materiality. They don't believe in glass boxes and window-wall construction. Their designs will be very material to satisfy both their architectural vision as well as environmental sustainability targets and building longevity. Expect lots of brick and other wonderful finishing materials here as the result.
2. Cascading/Terraced designs. They are very determined to mitigate wind effects coming off the lake in the winter. That means they will not be putting up rectangular needle-shaped towers. A lot of buildings you see in the renderings are broken-up volumes and have cascading terraced design. This is done precisely for that reason: to break up the wind, create turbulence and calm down wind speeds at the ground level as the result.
Don't get too far ahead here: Allies and Morrison are not shoo-ins to get to design the buildings themselves, they have not been hired for that yet (nobody has); their job so far has been masterplanning only, like all of the several firms involved, each covering different aspects of the plan.

To that end though, I was asked by a UT friend before going to "Tell [First Capital] to let A&M design some actual buildings"… so I did. Ms. Shpigel laughed and asked if Allies and Morrison had told me to tell her that. I explained to her what it was that seems to have caught so many people's imaginations about this project (no all-glass buildings, materiality, public realm, etc.) and that we really wanted to see some actual Allies and Morrison buildings.

It will be a while before they get to that stage, but I would suggest that I'd like to see A&M on the Galleria and buildings surrounding it in particular, but frankly would be happy to have them do everything based on what we've seen so far!

In any case, for the meantime, be prepared to be patient!

Yeah, patience is definitely key with this one. When I asked her, Jodi Shpigel guesstimated a 2-3 year time frame for SPA approval and that's assuming everything goes smoothly with the city planners.

Last edited by a moderator:

1579104509458.png

1579104629641.png

Glad to see the City acknowledge this in the Preliminary Report:

"The re-development of the site will provide an exemplary model of transit-oriented-development by creating a new walkable, pedestrian-oriented, mixed-use development centered on transit investment and integration."

Recommendations of the preliminary report adopted at the Planning and Housing Committee on January 22nd, 2020.

The Planning and Housing Committee:

1. Endorsed the key directions of the Christie's Planning Study contained within the report (January 7, 2020) from the Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning.

2. Directed the Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning, to continue to advance the Christie's Planning Study concurrently with the review of the Official Plan Amendment application by First Capital Realty on the same lands.

3. Directed the Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning, to continue to advance community consultation on the Christie's Planning Study and the development application, including aligning this consultation with the Park Lawn Lake Shore Transportation Master Plan, in consultation with the Ward Councillor.

4. Requested the Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning to bring forward a recommended Secondary Plan, Zoning By-law and Urban Design Guidelines to City Council by the fourth quarter of 2020.

One of the comments sums it up best:

"7500 residential units, lets conservatively estimate that to be 16,500 residents.

This area (lets face it, the whole city too) is already a transit and infrastructure disaster. Take a drive around Lake Shore/Park Lawn/Queensway in the morning during rush hour and check it out - total gong show.

Great that they're planning a new GO Station, and TTC Bus and Streetcar service. But that's just jamming 10,000 people onto existing routes that are already at capacity or greater.

I'm sure the city will love the development fees, property taxes and land transfer taxes associated with this project, but unless they're going to invest in transit capacity it will be yet another planning disaster for the city. "

I am cognizant that the situation is particularly severe in Humber Bay Shores, but you could copy and paste that comment in reference to many areas of the City.

"7500 residential units, lets conservatively estimate that to be 16,500 residents.

This area (lets face it, the whole city too) is already a transit and infrastructure disaster. Take a drive around Lake Shore/Park Lawn/Queensway in the morning during rush hour and check it out - total gong show.

Great that they're planning a new GO Station, and TTC Bus and Streetcar service. But that's just jamming 10,000 people onto existing routes that are already at capacity or greater.

I'm sure the city will love the development fees, property taxes and land transfer taxes associated with this project, but unless they're going to invest in transit capacity it will be yet another planning disaster for the city. "

Typical NIMBY BS you find in all the local facebook groups by area residents. For one, they aren't cramming 10K more residents onto existing streets, they are reworking the entire area road network. I (for one) find their idea of the relief road a very good solution to off-load traffic from existing roads. Coupled with the fact that all of the underground infrastructure will only be accessible from the relief road, there should not be any more traffic on either Park Lawn or Lake Shore. If anything, less.

But this is not even my biggest gripe with all the naysayers. What I don't understand is their complaint about traffic in the area at all. I've lived in the area for years and I pass Park Lawn and Lake Shore intersection every morning. When is this rush hour they speak of? Where is all this traffic? Or is a lineup of 20 cars waiting for the light to go green what constitutes "traffic" to them?? Oh, the humanity! :eek:

Typical NIMBY BS you find in all the local facebook groups by area residents. For one, they aren't cramming 10K more residents onto existing streets, they are reworking the entire area road network. I (for one) find their idea of the relief road a very good solution to off-load traffic from existing roads. Coupled with the fact that all of the underground infrastructure will only be accessible from the relief road, there should not be any more traffic on either Park Lawn or Lake Shore. If anything, less.

But this is not even my biggest gripe with all the naysayers. What I don't understand is their complaint about traffic in the area at all. I've lived in the area for years and I pass Park Lawn and Lake Shore intersection every morning. When is this rush hour they speak of? Where is all this traffic? Or is a lineup of 20 cars waiting for the light to go green what constitutes "traffic" to them?? Oh, the humanity! :eek:

'20 cars waiting for the light to go green what constitutes "traffic" to them'. At 1.5 people per car, that's 30 people. ?

And if those 30 people boarded a bus, streetcar, or GO train...

Back