Toronto 212 King Street West | 250m | 80s | Dream Office | SHoP

Now we need Koops illustrate this one and the 68 storeys project down the street on Toronto's skyscraperpage in the illustration page.

PS where is the flyby of those five midtown skyscrapers Koops?

I hope it turns out that dark, Koops.
Now we need Koops illustrate this one and the 68 storeys project down the street on Toronto's skyscraperpage in the illustration page.
I'm working on a drawing now, and will change the textures afterwards. The dark color you see is because I used a Willis Tower texture just to be quick about it. Unfortunately, 240 Adelaide W has no render yet, so there will be no drawing of that tower until there is.

Notable as SHoP of course used terracotta on their stunning 111 W. 57th tower to dramatic and winning effect. Now, it's not reasonable to expect quite that level of quality in TO given the dramatically different market economics in TO vs. NYC, but it's encouraging nonetheless.

View attachment 287939
SHoP

View attachment 287940
SHoP

View attachment 287944
NY YIMBY

View attachment 287945
NY YIMBY
The terracotta work here is really stunning, really adding the vibe to the 1920s building surrounding it

It doesn't, but besides that, in what realm of reality would that be a bad thing?
In this realm of reality. There's no reason to design contrived buildings that mimic something from 1969 (I'm not saying this this is a clone of the TD Centre, but I can see where HometownPride is coming from).

212 KING ST W
Ward 10: Spadina-Fort York

Development Applications

Project description:
Proposal for an 80-storey mixed-use building containing 588 rental dwelling units. The proposed building will have a non-residential gross floor area of 63,348.25 square metres and a residential gross floor area of 39,585.76 square metres.

Application Details
212 KING ST W
Ward 10: Spadina-Fort York

Application Number:
20 227738 STE 10 OZ
Application Type:
OPA & Rezoning
Date Submitted:
10/12/2020
Application Received
Description:
Proposal for an 80-storey mixed-use building containing 588 rental dwelling units. The proposed building will have a non-residential gross floor area of 63,348.25 square metres and a residential gross floor area of 39,585.76 square metres.

Revised renders, with the proper textures this time:

Toronto Model 12-11-20 212 King W.png

Toronto Model 12-11-20 212 King W2.png

Toronto Model 12-11-20 212 King W3.png

It doesn't, but besides that, in what realm of reality would that be a bad thing?
It's simply my personal preference. I enjoy the diversity of the different shapes and finishes on many of the new buildings in Toronto. To me, the design of 212 as presented seems monolithic and reflective of so many early International Style buildings around the world. I'm not saying those who like the design are wrong.

I'm good with simple black obelisks. Speaking about the TD centre I do remember some push back at the time about tearing things down but not about the height. Generally everyone wanted something taller than anything Montreal had to offer although I have to admit I hung out with a much younger crowd in those days. It was love at first sight once built. I do remember height concerns raised with First Canadian Place and most of the other major buildings since.

Last edited:
I hope that's not the final cladding; it looks like it belongs in the Toronto-Dominion Centre.
In this realm of reality. There's no reason to design contrived buildings that mimic something from 1969 (I'm not saying this this is a clone of the TD Centre, but I can see where HometownPride is coming from).
*New proposal vaguely notions at something it'll never actually do because it's too expensive*

@HometownPride & @Pow Wow: Boy this sucks...

*New proposal vaguely notions at something it'll never actually do because it's too expensive*

@HometownPride & @Pow Wow: Boy this sucks...
You missed my point. I never said anything with respect to the design of the proposal in question, rather, I was merely addressing your sentiment in which you asked why it would be a bad thing — hypothetically speaking — for a new tower to resemble the TD Centre. My answer being that it is no longer 1969.

Attempting to reproduce something from the past isn’t a natural representation of where a person, place, or thing is at in a given time in history (yes, I’m aware that styles go in and out of fashion), rather, doing something like that feels about as natural as hipsters with Civil War era moustaches, or Led Zeppelin tribute groups, with singers who lift their finger in the air to mimic Robert Plant’s expressiveness. The heyday of modernism has passed, thus, I see no point in trying to recreate it, generally speaking. In the words of Jimmy Page, during a 1977 interview, in which he described Led Zeppelin’s forward-thinking philosophy: “ever onward.”

^I respect your opinion and understand what you are trying to say POW but using the color scheme of a tower built in 60s does not mean they are trying to "recreate" it. It's just like saying using red brick in New buildings is like trying to build something from early 1900s.
Trust me you will love the details once this building T/O. just look at Fleur condos- it's black done perfectly. even if they try to mimic TD's black facade i don't mind it cause we got a lot of green and blue in Toronto. :)

Back