News   Mar 28, 2024
 107     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 565     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 358     0 

Toronto 2024 Olympic Bid (Dead)

What infrastructure do we get that we won't need? We badly need sports infrastructure in the GTA. Instead of having our athletes travel the country or need to travel to other countries to train, they could train here. It's expensive, but I see it as agood investment for our future.

A stadium that seats 60,000+ people for starters. Rogers Centre would be inadequate for the Olympics and whatever mega-stadium we put up will have about zero value once the event is over. A velodrome? Montreal repurposed theirs years ago. I agree we need a few olympic-size pools in the GTA, but we really don't need to host the Olympics in order to build them.

We badly need sports infrastructure in the GTA.
What infrastructure do we need that an Olympics would provide? We wouldn't get training facilities out the event -- instead we'd get huge venues for audiences.

What infrastructure do we need that an Olympics would provide? We wouldn't get training facilities out the event -- instead we'd get huge venues for audiences.

I'd also add that I don't believe we 'badly need' sports infrastructure in Toronto, anyway, except maybe arenas and soccer pitches. And, on the arenas front, municipalities are dealing with that at the appropriate level.

I'm reconciled to the Pan Ams because they're going to come, so I'll make the best of it. (Also, quite frankly, a big chunk of the infrastructure build benefits me personally, so thank you to all of you for my new park and waterfront.) A summer Olympics will spend billions upon billions of cash, lots of it down large stadia sewers. Could someone just give these guys a shake? What's in it for them personally that they're once again firing up the 'spend tax dollars' engine?

Well, I'll say this, if an Olympic bid results in the GTA getting our own version of the Overground and other rail links London's getting for 2012, then I can swallow that bitter pill. Aside from that, couldn't care less (aside from seeing World Cup-level soccer).

It would be cheaper and more effective (from a Global marketing perspective) to bid on and land the 2023 ICC World Cup of Cricket.

3rd largest sporting event in the world after the FA World Cup and the Olympics - and it can be accomplished with temporary stadiums...

Just sayin.

Well, I'll say this, if an Olympic bid results in the GTA getting our own version of the Overground and other rail links London's getting for 2012, then I can swallow that bitter pill. Aside from that, couldn't care less (aside from seeing under 21World Cup-level soccer).

Fixed your post a bit. Olympic teams are restricted to 2 players on each team over a certain age (wich I think is 21).

It was a requirement of FIFA to not water down the value of their own tournament which runs every 4 years.

The tragedy in Canada is that if we want better infrastructure and a decent transit network, olympics are the way. The summer games would guarantee use the DRL, easily eglinton to pearson, maybe Sheppard due to downview park and a new revitalized area of Toronto or just fast track Waterfront Toronto's projects

The tragedy in Canada is that if we want better infrastructure and a decent transit network, olympics are the way. The summer games would guarantee use the DRL, easily eglinton to pearson, maybe Sheppard due to downview park and a new revitalized area of Toronto or just fast track Waterfront Toronto's projects
Agreeeeeeeeed

A stadium that seats 60,000+ people for starters. Rogers Centre would be inadequate for the Olympics and whatever mega-stadium we put up will have about zero value once the event is over.
It would make a great stadium for the NFL team Rob Ford is going to get for us!

It would be cheaper and more effective (from a Global marketing perspective) to bid on and land the 2023 ICC World Cup of Cricket.

3rd largest sporting event in the world after the FA World Cup and the Olympics - and it can be accomplished with temporary stadiums...

Just sayin.
This would never happen for at least the 13 reasons I can think of off the top of my head.

Fixed your post a bit. Olympic teams are restricted to 2 players on each team over a certain age (wich I think is 21).

It was a requirement of FIFA to not water down the value of their own tournament which runs every 4 years.
Under-23, and the limit is 3 over-aged players. Some countries send their best U-23 players while others don't, which makes Olympic soccer even more watered down.

Olympics in Toronto?

Can someone refresh my memory on how long it took Montreal to pay off their olympic stint? 30 years? Olympic Stadium is now empty as well, thanks Expos.

It's one thing for a Canadian city which is located next to a mountain to host the winter games, but a city like Toronto, and a country like Canada (whose athletes performance during a summer olympics would be less successful than during the winter) should not be hosting these events.

Perhaps one day in the future after we slowly build up our budget and facilities, which in turn will enhance Canadian athletic performance, we can then think about bringing the olympics here. But a crash spending program is not the answer, especially if the price tag is a mountain of debt at a time when we can barely get the political will to upgrade our infrastructure.

Lets see how Canada is doing in 2030, we can revisit the question then.

Back