News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 959     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 361     0 

Toronto 2024 Olympic Bid (Dead)

i feel like 2020 could have been our year with a fairly weak field...oh well

Agreed. I thought if we were going to bid then that was the year to be aggressive as well. hard to be aggressive though when we were fresh on trying to find the gravy at city hall.

Europe has never gone three straight Summer Games without hosting and if Toronto did in 2024 that would be three straight (but I suppose it could always be broken).

And North America will soon be in its second longest drought in recorded history. I think 2022 is going to Europe (and that is going to be a fun race if Barcelona, Oslo, Munich, Krakow, Almaty - its a very strong lineup). 2024 may come down to Toronto vs a US city (I think LA is the only city with a legit chance) vs a European one. Also Consider Australia, they went 44 years between hosting the Summer Olympics (Melbourne in 56 and Sydney in 00). 2024 will be 48 years since Montreal 76 .. soo Toronto could be one of the front runners, and I firmly believe has a good shot at 2024 so long as the Pan-Ams go smoothly.

And North America will soon be in its second longest drought in recorded history. I think 2022 is going to Europe (and that is going to be a fun race if Barcelona, Oslo, Munich, Krakow, Almaty - its a very strong lineup). 2024 may come down to Toronto vs a US city (I think LA is the only city with a legit chance) vs a European one. Also Consider Australia, they went 44 years between hosting the Summer Olympics (Melbourne in 56 and Sydney in 00). 2024 will be 48 years since Montreal 76 .. soo Toronto could be one of the front runners, and I firmly believe has a good shot at 2024 so long as the Pan-Ams go smoothly.

I dont know how LA can afford to host. They are legit bankrupt. I know Rob Ford has tricked Toronto into thinking its bankrupt but LA actually is.

Even with Tokyo's win, I can still see North America winning the next Olympics games. Toronto's bid would trump most of the candidates. The only thing the Toronto bid team needs to work on is coming up with a compelling reason why Toronto should host the games. Not just a simple, this is what the Olympics games would do for Toronto. But a , "What would Toronto do for the Olympic movement?".

the IOC are still keeping a distance from the US hosting the games (not their money of course). Chicago getting kick out first for the 2016 bid was a shocker. They had by far the strongest bid but the aura of Salt lake City 2002 scandal is clearly behind it.

That being said, Tokyo was chosen over Istanbul and Madrid because Tokyo put the emphasis that "they were a safe choice". Less likely to get broke along the way (Madrid), less likely to fall behind on construction (Rio), less likely to have security issues due to geographic reasons (Istanbul). What's more safe and sure than Canada among North American countries? We're safe and our economy is the safest of the G20 nations.

Toronto is the 4th best city to live in...in the world! Besides, Atlanta had 1996 already. I feel Mexico City will be our best competition on the continent.

I believe in 2024

I also think 2024 will be a very favourable time for a Toronto bid. The gap for an Olympics hosted in North America will have been way too long by that point, and I haven't heard any buzz about a serious bid from an American city - I don't think they have the stomach for it, especially after the quite humiliating losses by recent bids from New York City and Chicago. The Vancouver games will be further behind us (something that possibly could have hurt our bid), and we'll have hosted the Pan-Am Games by then as well, which is essentially a dress rehearsal for the Olympics. As for other bids...obviously Asia and South America will not be a factor, and I don't think "new" places like India, the Middle East or Africa will be in a position to put up a serious bid by then. I guess the only possible threat could come from a European city, but the London games will be only 12 years removed by then as opposed to 28 years for North America, which is where the biggest market lies.

Taking all that into consideration, it looks like the stars are aligning for Toronto. If we put up an amazing, compact, urban bid like the one we had for 2008, it's ours for the taking.

Thanks for posting - the fundamental thesis that sport and recreation aren't seen as important pieces of infrastructure being a uniquely Toronto feature is a questionable one I think.

AoD

Thanks for posting - the fundamental thesis that sport and recreation aren't seen as important pieces of infrastructure being a uniquely Toronto feature is a questionable one I think.

AoD

Yes, it's probably wider than that, i.e. that very little by way of infrastructure is seen as particularly important here. The odd thing is that in Toronto neither side of the political spectrum is advocating for infrastructure spending, the right keeps screaming 'gravy, gravy, gravy!' and the left questions spending on anything that isn't social welfare, 'health care, health care, health care!". I'm exaggerating, to be sure, but when you cut through all the rhetoric (the years and years of it) it pretty much boils down to this.

Yes, it's probably wider than that, I.e. that very little by way of infrastructure is seen as particularly important here. The odd thing is that in Toronto neither side of the political spectrum is advocating for infrastructure spending, the right keeps screaming 'gravy, gravy, gravy!' and the left questions spending on anything that isn't social welfare, 'health care, health care, health care!". I'm exaggerating, to be sure, but when you cut through all the rhetoric (the years and years of it) it pretty much boils down to this.
That is one of the few things both Jack Layton and Rob Ford agree with; they both oppose Toronto having the Olympics.

Yes, it's probably wider than that, i.e. that very little by way of infrastructure is seen as particularly important here. The odd thing is that in Toronto neither side of the political spectrum is advocating for infrastructure spending, the right keeps screaming 'gravy, gravy, gravy!' and the left questions spending on anything that isn't social welfare, 'health care, health care, health care!". I'm exaggerating, to be sure, but when you cut through all the rhetoric (the years and years of it) it pretty much boils down to this.

I would disagree with that - the right have absolutely no qualms about putting money into infrastructure that serve its' purposes (e.g highways, rural roads, this and that) while the left also also no qualms either (green energy, etc.). It's less a left-right per se issue and more a populist, less taxes/fees for the "middle" class cry that both the right and the left used for different reasons that's the issue. Besides, even if the right truly doesn't care about health care, the policy choices they have made certainly hasn't communicated anything other than at worst a status quo on that file.

AoD

Last edited:
Just dropping by to say I think a 2024 bid is a no-go for Toronto. The applications must be submitted by the summer of 2015, and I think an intent-to-apply statement must go inquite a while before that. That's just under 2 years, and with an election and the PanAms in the offing, I don't see how a serious bid can be prepared and the public support stirred up in that time. The Toronto 2024 Facebook page isn't very active. If there is energy for this thing, I'm not seeing it.

Just dropping by to say I think a 2024 bid is a no-go for Toronto. The applications must be submitted by the summer of 2015, and I think an intent-to-apply statement must go inquite a while before that. That's just under 2 years, and with an election and the PanAms in the offing, I don't see how a serious bid can be prepared and the public support stirred up in that time. The Toronto 2024 Facebook page isn't very active. If there is energy for this thing, I'm not seeing it.

How early did the preparations for the 2008 bid occur?

There was supposed to be a report put before City Council at sometime this fall about the feasibility of a bid

Back