News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

Toronto 2024 Olympic Bid (Dead)

The odds that Ottawa would contribute a dime to an Olympic Stadium that would be given to a group trying to get a Toronto NFL team are exactly zero.

As for the Argos, other than wild speculation (redoing BMO Field is another rumour) there is no word where they might go. And at this point we don't even know for sure if the Jays will force them out of the Dome.

No reason to configure BMO to fit a CFL team.

The Argos should be look at other options.

The odds that Ottawa would contribute a dime to an Olympic Stadium that would be given to a group trying to get a Toronto NFL team are exactly zero.

The models/examples I am most familiar with, however, are not so much a "give the stadium away after the games" situation as they are a symbiotic sharing of costs.

So the Manchester commonwealth games stadium and the London olympic stadium have both ended up in the hands of soccer teams. In each case the stadium was needed to host the games, then costs were recovered by the later transfer of the stadiums. The games get a stadium at a reduced cost (relative to the old model of build it, use it for a couple of weeks and hope there is a use later) and the clubs got a stadium that makes their business better and more viable.

No one would give an NFL (or any other private venture a stadium)....but if building a (number plucked out of the air) $500 million stadium is a roadblock to, both, an olympic bid and an NFL team ......build it for the olympics and recover half the cost from the team later. (don't get hung up on the numbers...it is just the concept I am describing) .

About the stadium, it makes the most sense for the Olympic stadium be made to easily be downgraded in size for the Toronto Argonauts. We can't depend on the NFL coming here even though a Toronto NFL team would be the perfect tenants for this stadium.

Has it been done before? What was the last host city to build a modular Olympic stadium. I only ask because the argos sweet spot capacity wise is around 30 000 - 35 000 and I am wondering about the logistics of building a 60 000+ seat Olympic stadium that can be disassembled to 35 000. That's about half the capacity...

Yet still with the 2015 Pan-Am games and the rumours we have been hearing I doubt that the Argos will be looking for a new stadium come 2024/28

Has it been done before? What was the last host city to build a modular Olympic stadium. I only ask because the argos sweet spot capacity wise is around 30 000 - 35 000 and I am wondering about the logistics of building a 60 000+ seat Olympic stadium that can be disassembled to 35 000. That's about half the capacity...

Yet still with the 2015 Pan-Am games and the rumours we have been hearing I doubt that the Argos will be looking for a new stadium come 2024/28

Olympic stadiums........London was 80k capacity during the Olympics will be 60k once WHU move in......Atlanta was 85k during the Olympics and re-purposed to a 49k baseball stadium post games.

Commonwealth games......Manchester 35k during the games ....increased to 48k post games (just to show you can go either way).

Not sure, BTW, a 60k Olympic stadium wins any games bid. The last city to host the summer games with a stadium of 60k or less was Tokyo in 1964 - 57,363.

Montreal and Rome were both "mid 60k" stadiums.....but, outside of those, the capacities are typically higher.

Olympic stadiums........London was 80k capacity during the Olympics will be 60k once WHU move in......Atlanta was 85k during the Olympics and re-purposed to a 49k baseball stadium post games.

Commonwealth games......Manchester 35k during the games ....increased to 48k post games (just to show you can go either way).

Not sure, BTW, a 60k Olympic stadium wins any games bid. The last city to host the summer games with a stadium of 60k or less was Tokyo in 1964 - 57,363.

Montreal and Rome were both "mid 60k" stadiums.....but, outside of those, the capacities are typically higher.

Well that's what I mean. It's one thing to take the stadium down 15 000 to 20 000 seats from 80 000, a few bleachers in the "ends" could do that. However to go down from 80 000+ (as you have said 60 000 is insufficient to get an olymipics) stadium down to 35 000 is more than 50% of the capacity. That would be a huge deconstruction...

**EDIT**
The only stadium that I can think of that whose final capacity will be/is less than half the capacity of the "big event" capacity is the soccer stadium being built for the 2022 World cup in Quatar. It will go from 85 000 for the world cup down to 20 000 post world cup.

Last edited:
Well that's what I mean. It's one thing to take the stadium down 15 000 to 20 000 seats from 80 000, a few bleachers in the "ends" could do that. However to go down from 80 000+ (as you have said 60 000 is insufficient to get an olymipics) stadium down to 35 000 is more than 50% of the capacity. That would be a huge deconstruction...

**EDIT**
The only stadium that I can think of that whose final capacity will be/is less than half the capacity of the "big event" capacity is the soccer stadium being built for the 2022 World cup in Quatar. It will go from 85 000 for the world cup down to 20 000 post world cup.

See, it can be done! We have a domestic example too....the Commonwealth Stadium in Victoria went from a Games Capacity of 30k down to 5k! (of course that was more of an undoing of a temporary expansion than anything else).

Interesting video. However, few of the points could apply here in Canada.

Disagree. We have poverty, housing, education and health issues too. Not so bad as Brazil, but they exist and they are definitely not improving. People got kicked out of their homes in London, so there is no reason not to expect the same here.

There is also the transportation issue. The Downtown Relief Line needs to be under construction and the Eglinton Crosstown Line be extended to Pearson before Toronto can bid for the Olympics and/or the FIFA World Cup.

Toronto, or any city, cannot bid for the World Cup.

Personally, if Toronto did get the Olympics, I'd like to see Downsview be used as the site for the Olympic Park. Have the Feds pay to move Bombardier someplace else (perhaps the new Pickering Airport?), and redevelop the site as a full Olympic Park.

Would be perfectly connected to transit (probably the most connected area you could build it), with 2 subway stations and a GO station around various parts of the site. It would also be a good catalyst for a Sheppard West subway extension.

There's enough room for a ~75K stadium, a good sized aquatic centre, and a few other smaller venues. The stadium could be combined with an NFL franchise bid, as was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Also, re: downgradeable stadiums: The stadium built for the 96 Atlanta games was specifically built with conversion to baseball in mind. You can clearly see the baseball setup "imbedded" in the Olympic stadium setup. Heck, you can even see where the dugouts would eventually be.
aerial2.jpg

Attachments

• aerial2.jpg
    aerial2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 683

Back