1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 391     0 

Toronto 2024 Olympic Bid (Dead)

None

None

Actually, a lot. The infrastructure that is usually built to support an Games would be worth a tax hike in my opinion, but that is pretty much all I would want to sacrifice.....

Fair enough. There just don't seem to be any OG host cities that were able to swing that deal.

I think we have a very good chance at winning this. We just got to hope that either Madrid or Istanbul wins 2020 Olympics. It's going to be between Toronto, Durban, U.S. chosen city, Paris, and Tokyo. I like the city's chances here. We'd be the alternative to an American Summer Olympics and still be within a humungous amount of population distance wise and in a lucrative timezone.

And at the pace Toronto seems to build infrastructure, the 2nd wave of Metrolinx Big Move projects may actually be finished by then, haha.

In all seriousness though, one of the only ways (short of people willingly accepting sales taxes and tolls) for Toronto to get the DRL and Eglinton LRT extension to Pearson, and for the GTA to get electrified express rail by the early 2020s is for the Olympics to be coming. I would expect the same type of Vancouver cash infusion, only bigger, simply because the Summer Olympics are so much bigger than the Winter Olympics.

What residential neighbourhoods are you willing to sacrifice for a Toronto Olympics? What public services are you willing to see cut to pay for it? How much more tax are you willing to pay?

Don't quite understand the "residential neighbourhood sacrificing" thing. This isn't Beijing where we're going to bulldoze entire neighbourhoods in order to build an Olympic park. If anything, I can see a spot like the Portlands being re-revisioned in order to act as an Olympic park, with the associated residential development following the West Donlands model (athletes' village during the event, social and market housing afterwards).

Option B is telling Bombardier to take a hike from Downsview and building the Olympic Park there.

As for the public services cuts, I don't think there would be any. The Feds gave Vancouver huge amounts of money for infrastructure for the games.

Don't quite understand the "residential neighbourhood sacrificing" thing. This isn't Beijing where we're going to bulldoze entire neighbourhoods in order to build an Olympic park. If anything, I can see a spot like the Portlands being re-revisioned in order to act as an Olympic park, with the associated residential development following the West Donlands model (athletes' village during the event, social and market housing afterwards).

Option B is telling Bombardier to take a hike from Downsview and building the Olympic Park there.

As for the public services cuts, I don't think there would be any. The Feds gave Vancouver huge amounts of money for infrastructure for the games.

I've posted a bunch of links in this thread where info can be found on neighbourhoods being displaced for the games. It happened for London 2012, it's happening in Rio and Sochi right now. One perspective is that the Olympics are a real estate scam, a way to get access to land and permission to build things that would not approved through the usual regulations and processes. Read back in this thread for the various links to this info.

As for public service cuts, the Feds have been cutting programs all over the place, yet somehow managed to find $$ for the 2010 Games. Same thing happened in Britain.

Would Toronto get the same big amounts of money invested into city infrastructure without the games? And also with a set deadline? Ie.2024? I doubt it. The games are an expensive thing to host, no denying that but the amount of government money that would be rolling into the city for developments and upgrades would be well worth it. Plus we get to host the world on the biggest stage possible.:p

It's a good, specific example of Olympic promises being broken.

I am not suggesting that all Olympic promises in all cities are kept but this is a bad example. The promise was to restore the park as soon as possible after the games. They are just saying that weather has made it take longer than expected and, in that context, they are restoring it "as soon as possible". Not fast enough for the people who use the park (who were probably against the temporary facility in the first place so are likely on a close watch of the restoration) but still....is that a broken promise? seems debatable.

Would Toronto get the same big amounts of money invested into city infrastructure without the games? And also with a set deadline? Ie.2024? I doubt it. The games are an expensive thing to host, no denying that but the amount of government money that would be rolling into the city for developments and upgrades would be well worth it. Plus we get to host the world on the biggest stage possible.:p

Given the antipathy a lot of Canadians feel for Toronto, it's not a good idea to assume that if we build it, the feds and Queen's Park will come bearing money. If the City decides it has to bid for the 2024 games, it will be a good idea to nail down funding from Ottawa and the Province in advance.

I am not suggesting that all Olympic promises in all cities are kept but this is a bad example. The promise was to restore the park as soon as possible after the games. They are just saying that weather has made it take longer than expected and, in that context, they are restoring it "as soon as possible". Not fast enough for the people who use the park (who were probably against the temporary facility in the first place so are likely on a close watch of the restoration) but still....is that a broken promise? seems debatable.

Splitting hairs. "As soon as possible" is a pretty weak, loop-holey promise. Got any examples of promises being unequivocally kept?

Given the antipathy a lot of Canadians feel for Toronto, it's not a good idea to assume that if we build it, the feds and Queen's Park will come bearing money. If the City decides it has to bid for the 2024 games, it will be a good idea to nail down funding from Ottawa and the Province in advance.

Well, then, there would be no bid. The IOC does not accept bids that do not have national government financial guarantees.

No, you are correct ALL promises made by Olympic proponents are false and end up broken.

I never said that. It certainly appears to me that most are broken, but maybe some really are kept. I haven't come across any examples yet but they may exist. Do you know of any?

Back