News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.2K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 666     1 

Toronto 2024 Olympic Bid (Dead)

We're well aware of your cost/benefit analysis, it has one column: cost.
As opposed to yours, which is a bunch of unicorn and rainbow doodles?

Perhaps you're right - maybe Tory is the first mayor in thirty years to figure out how to run an Olympics without the host taking a bath. Burden of proof is on him, not history.

Perhaps you're right - maybe Tory is the first mayor in thirty years to figure out how to run an Olympics without the host taking a bath. Burden of proof is on him, not history.

Well again, if you insist on sweeping all the benefits to the city and region under the carpet anything can be distorted to look like a 'bath'.... and sure the burden of proof is on all stakeholders, as it should be. Let's not be disingenuous though, we need to assess a full picture, costs and benefits included.

I'm starting to feel it's the 'pro-games' side they are going to be letting down gently.

What a weird presser. They gathered reporters hinting that they would speak on the bid to announce that they still haven't made up their minds a week before the deadline.

What a weird presser. They gathered reporters hinting that they would speak on the bid to announce that they still haven't made up their minds a week before the deadline.
My guess is they either ran into a last minute stumble or this was a chance to give Wynne a shot at plausible deniability.

The safest bet is not to bid. My hunch now is the optics are more for the benefit of the pro-games side, not the other way around. Make it appear like they're seriously contemplating a bid when really neither Tory nor Wynne has any intention. Inertia and stalemate are much more comfortable positions for politicians in Ontario.

The safest bet is not to bid. My hunch now is the optics are more for the benefit of the pro-games side, not the other way around. Make it appear like they're seriously contemplating a bid when really neither Tory nor Wynne has any intention. Inertia and stalemate are much more comfortable positions for politicians in Ontario.
Had a thought that the intended audience for today's presser was the bid backers. Tory could be trying to scare them into covering more of the bid cost.

So Im done believing any "rumours" or "inside tips" anymore. I guess I let myself believe the things I want to believe.

So Im done believing any "rumours" or "inside tips" anymore. I guess I let myself believe the things I want to believe.
It was kind of a nonsensical rumour. Say what you will about the Olympics, but the choice to host/not host them isn't so controversial that Tory would feel the need to bury the story before a long weekend. And the entire rumour was built around that obviously wrong premise. This isn't Frank Underwood gutting social security.
It's all theatrics. If the bid were dead we wouldn't still be talking.
It could work either way... maybe these are theatrics humouring pro or anti games voices? Basically it's not easy to speculate on a public figure's motivations.

Personally, I do feel like the lack of a strong bid proposal by now from Tory suggests the coalition behind it is either weak or fractured. That seems like the most plausible explanation for why the pro-Games side has been so lethargic.

As opposed to yours, which is a bunch of unicorn and rainbow doodles?

Howdy folks, long-time lurker, first-time poster here -- this will likely be my only post on this thread ever.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, animatronic, for your contributions to this thread.

That pretty much slid into dick-ish territory, Tewder. I recommend a week at the cottage to recapture your zen.

But, to keep your blood boiling, Richard Florida from the G&M:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...hould-say-no-to-the-olympics/article26263925/

What does Florida know about anything? The Olympics will give us loads of useful infrastructure like a 70,000 seat stadium that will be in constant use afterwards. Plus they'll make us one of the Most Influential Cities In The World!!! And they'll only cost $4 billion which will come entirely from other peoples' money.

Back