News   Apr 30, 2024
 579     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 514     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

Pan-Am-Games-Pavilion-tkaronto-4.jpg

This is the most hilariously absurd rendering I've ever seen.

I think #3 was my favorite but I am betting #1 was the cheapest to produce. It's novel but also pretty juvenile IMO.

I thought the clock was ticking on the Pan-Am site selection process - like this week?

If I recall the City of Brampton discussion, they think they have until mid-June. I can't see them going forward with this but, for local civic political reasons, they are likely to give it as much time as they have. Council meets on Wednesdays so you are not likely to hear anything other than on a Thursday.

If I recall the City of Brampton discussion, they think they have until mid-June. I can't see them going forward with this but, for local civic political reasons, they are likely to give it as much time as they have. Council meets on Wednesdays so you are not likely to hear anything other than on a Thursday.

Why do you feel it won't go ahead (tho I tend to agree the plan is depending on too many variables to be practical)?

There is also no guarantee the selection committee will select Brampton anyways...

Why do you feel it won't go ahead (tho I tend to agree the plan is depending on too many variables to be practical)?

I just don't think there is an appetite for taking on financial risk. The "plan" presented basically said "get some cash from the games and fundraiser the rest". The games, however, are not likely to give money unless the city guarantees they will provide the rest.

The City Manager reports tomorrow.

http://www.bramptonguardian.com/news/cityhall/article/1368647--pan-am-report-at-council-tomorrow

Looks like it's not being recommended as expected:

http://www.brampton.ca/en/City-Hall/meetings-agendas/City Council 2010/20120606cc_I2-1.pdf

-TO2015 has also informed the City of Brampton that it is in an advanced stage of discussion with another municipal candidate to host the sports of baseball and softball during the Games.

-Given the fact that there is limited and unconfirmed financial information, project scope definition, and baseball/softball programming specifications related to the two separate private submissions; limited known committed financial resources from the private sector, nor a reasonable timeframe to undertake a feasibility study and necessary due diligence process to meet the TO2015 deadline; there exists a difference in vision for a baseball and softball venue between TO2015 and the two separate private submissions; and Council's goal of a zero property tax impact, staff has recommended in this report that the City of Brampton should not submit a bid for the June 15 deadline.

(Brampton City Council) RECOMMENDATIONS

That, the report from Deborah Dubenofsky, City Manager and Dennis Cutajar, Commissioner Economic Development and Communications, dated June 4, 2012 to the Council meeting of June 6, 2012, re: Status Report: 2015 Pan Para/Pan American Games, be received; and

That, the City of Brampton decline the invitation by TO2015 to submit a bid for the June 15, 2012 deadline, given there is limited and unconfirmed financial information, project scope definition and baseball/softball programming specifications related to the two separate private submissions; limited known committed financial resources from the private sector, nor a reasonable timeframe to undertake a feasibility study and necessary due diligence process to meet the TO2015 deadline; there exists a difference in vision for a baseball and softball venue between TO2015 and the two separate private submissions; and Council's stated goal of a zero property tax impact; and

That, Council reaffirm its ongoing commitment to the development of high-caliber sports infrastructure in Brampton by including an assessment of Sports and Entertainment Venues in the upcoming strategic planning process for broader
community discussion and engagement, and referral to subsequent budget
discussions as appropriate; and

That, Council acknowledge the private sector developers and community advocates for their ideas and concept submissions to the City of Brampton on May 23, 2012.

Back