News   Jul 15, 2024
 659     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 812     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 616     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

Yet we stand by the Leafs which is completely unfathomable. The surest way to Stanley Cup victory, eventually, is for fans and for Corporate Toronto to boycott a season, demanding better. Nothing more pathetic than Leaf fans, really... and I used to count myself as one of them!
The Leafs are like teflon. As far as sporting dollars go, they have a plurality (and perhaps the majority) of Toronto's corporate support, and that has never wavered. We the "regular" fans have been priced to sit higher and higher in the arena, or right out of it altogether. And if a second GTA NHL team hits the scene, the pressure on the Raptors and (especially) the Jays to survive will grow exponentially.

? How was "No funds have been allocated to the Yonge extension, beyond the EA and the signalling upgrade." rude? Not a perfect answer perhaps to the question. But rude?

You are supposed to only say things that support his assertion that a project which was going to move forward will no longer do so despite the fact there is no evidence yet that the project is moving forward. Don't you understand how forums work. People say things and you can't provide a input into the discussion because, even though your point is non-attacking, people might have their feelings hurt.

Here are some examples of rudeness:
Person 1: I love Canada.
Person 2: But there are things that can be improved.
Here person 2 should have simply agreed.

Person 1: I like Miller Light because it tastes great.
Person 2: It's less filling.
Person 1: Don't put f-ing words in my mouth.
Here person 2 should have shut the f#$@ up!

Yet we stand by the Leafs which is completely unfathomable. The surest way to Stanley Cup victory, eventually, is for fans and for Corporate Toronto to boycott a season, demanding better. Nothing more pathetic than Leaf fans, really... and I used to count myself as one of them!

I've heard this said so many times by so many different people that I've become very curious about this boycott. How do you see it actually changing the Leafs' behaviour to make them a better team?

I suppose that they could spend more money on players. Of course they are already near the cap and before there was a salary cap they spent considerably more on players than the league allows them to now.
I suppose that they could bring in a big name GM and let him run the team how he sees fit but they've already got one of those.
They could bring in a high priced coach or build a top of the line training/practice facility or make improvements to their arena. But once again, they've already done all of that.
I guess if all the fans stop showing up, the players will realize that they actually have to "try" to win and then we'll get a Cup. It could work except that Phoenix might have even fewer fans showing up to their home games than we could manage and then they would get the Cup.

Or is the argument just that ticket prices should be set below market value?

Sorry if this is too off topic or rude.

Oh, yay Pan Am Games. I was really pulling for Tokyo to get the Olympics before I leave here so that's my third Olympic disappointment.

Yes, they would have to be a little more responsive to the expectations of their fans that the team should actually one day stand a chance at winning. It almost seems laughable as I type it, keeping in mind the Leafs have never won in my lifetime.

Getting more (selfishly) excited about this all the time!

I took a look at the bid book (at www.toronto2015.org) to see what the West Don Lands will look like post-build out. I had not realized the extent of the practice facilities and athletic fields planned -- the whole junkyard south of the railroad tracks to Lake Shore gets converted! A 50m outdoor pool! A new indoor recreation complex!

If all this stuff actually come to fruition, it'll be (other) people's money well spent (on my 'nabe!)

The village itself doesn't seem to vary too much from the townhouses/midrise condos planned pre-PanAm.

Don't get too excited. The official plans for the area between the tracks and the Gardiner specify a dense highrise area with the Lakeshore right down the middle. What you see in those illustrations may or may not materialize, and it could be as temporary facilities only. On the other hand, they could rewrite much of the lower don lands plan on the basis of expediency.

Last edited:
For all of us former competitive swimmers, the news that there will be a proper world class facility here in Toronto is all I needed to hear to get excited about Toronto getting these games. It's long overdue.

This is huge in the swimming world.

For all of us former competitive swimmers, the news that there will be a proper world class facility here in Toronto is all I needed to hear to get excited about Toronto getting these games. It's long overdue.

This is huge in the swimming world.
How will these additional pools be funded and maintained in the decades after they are built and long after the Games have moved on? Unless there is an ironclad longterm funding model, these facilities (or other existing pools for which funding will be redeployed) will be a risk.

It will become the property of UofT who will maintain it. Besides, there is no lack of competitive swimmers who currently have to train outside the province and will be lining up (and paying) to train in these facilities in their hometown.

It seems a bid odd though that opening a single new big pool is great at a time dozens of school pools are going to be closed. Why would competitive swimmers need to train out of province? There is an aquatic centre in London built for the Canada Games, the Etobicoke Centennial pool is olympic sized, the Donald Summerville pool is olympic sized, and I am sure there are others. If this is meant to be a major competition venue used in a future olympic bid it also seems to be located in the wrong spot far away from hotels and good transit.

If you had the ultimate choice, where (out of the follow locations only)would you place the Hamilton Pan Am Stadium:

Bayfront/West Harbour (favoured location)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...7222,-79.873052&spn=0.009578,0.02738&t=h&z=16

Confederation Park
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...45015,-79.74967&spn=0.009581,0.02738&t=h&z=16

Airport
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...1429,-79.929442&spn=0.019189,0.05476&t=h&z=15

I don't know Hamilton as well as I should but from those maps I would vote for the first one

Back