News   Apr 24, 2024
 501     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 698     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 516     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

Thanks for that, I finally now know what the deal is with Birchmount stadium as I didn't think it could possibly host any events. (training facility)

IIRC I read a while ago the Milton Velodrome had the ability to 'remove' the cycling oval to convert it to a normal community centre. (baskeball courts, etc) to give it more purpose after the games. Not sure where I read that though, and I could be wrong.

Slightly right about Milton. The velodrome is permanent, but the space inside the loop will house some extra amenities (basketball courts If I remember correctly?), as will the rest of the building.

The centre area has courts that can be used for basketball, badminton and volleyball. There's a pretty big fitness centre in there as well. And a indoor running/walking track.

Thanks for all that. Sounds like this will still be a useful building after PAG's. Whether it's for the velodrome, or the other amenities.

For those who are planning to go attended the games. Pan Am Orginzanors have set some Do's and Don'ts, here is a small sample:
  • No - Gang colours
  • No - Glass bottles and cans (with the exception of empty personal aluminum water bottles and baby bottles)
  • No - Large bags including knapsacks, containers, coolers and ice chests. [not to exceed 9" x 5" x 11" (23 cm x 13 cm x 28 cm)]
  • No - Outside food or beverage. (exceptions include baby formula, baby food and single-serving portions for those with dietary restrictions)
  • No - Outside alcohol
  • No - Bicycles, canoes, kayaks, boats, scooters, skateboards or roller blades.
  • No - Sporting equipment such as hockey sticks, racquets, baseball bats and billiard cues.
  • No - Full face masks or oversized costumes. (religious coverings excepted)
  • No - Professional or commercial-grade video cameras, lenses, equipment and accessories.
Some of these are common for any sporting event, like no outside food or drink. However, Gang colours is really ambiguous, what happens if I'm wearing an a colour that I was unaware of that could be a "Gang Colours"? And if you bring manage to bring an canoe, kayak or a boat to one of these events in the city should net you a award, really? Do they really expect people to bring things like canoes, kayaks or boats to gaming events?

"Gang colours" has a specific meaning - more than just a particular hue.

Very disappointing about the ban on SLR cameras.

This is the Pan Am Ontario Pavilion, strangely in the Canada Square near the Hourbourfront Centre.

Here it is from the north complete with zip line.

IMAG0543.jpg

Faux dock bar from the North.

IMAG0545.jpg

Concert venue.

IMAG0547.jpg

Dock bar from the south.

IMAG0548.jpg

Zip line tower with a climbing wall being installed.

IMAG0550.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0543.jpg
    IMAG0543.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 440
  • IMAG0545.jpg
    IMAG0545.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 404
  • IMAG0548.jpg
    IMAG0548.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 420
  • IMAG0550.jpg
    IMAG0550.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 400
  • IMAG0547.jpg
    IMAG0547.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 412
  • IMAG0543.jpg
    IMAG0543.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 167
Going to opening ceremonies this Friday at Rogers Centre. Will there be fireworks like with the Olympic ceremonies? Looks like the weather is good to keep the roof open. I hope that this will be a night to remember. I sure paid enough for good seats.

Also, would like to get a PanAm shirt before Friday. Who and where are they selling them? Any sales in Etobicoke? If they are to pricey I will skip purchasing a shirt.

Thanks

Going to opening ceremonies this Friday at Rogers Centre. Will there be fireworks like with the Olympic ceremonies?
I would hope so. But keep in mind the Blue Jays had to stop their fireworks displays in the early 00's when condos starting popping up nearby and they became concerned about noise.

Pan Am Games shop in Nathan Phillips Square and Eaton Centre, I believe.

I have a friend from Ottawa coming down for the opening ceremonies and various events over the weekend.

I would hope so. But keep in mind the Blue Jays had to stop their fireworks displays in the early 00's when condos starting popping up nearby and they became concerned about noise.

Harbourfront put on a big fireworks display on the night of June 30th so I doubt fireworks for the Pan Am games opening ceremonies would be a problem.

Yeah, it was great. I basically right across the street from it, and while I can understand some not wanting to have fireworks at every Jays game, a few spectacular shows a year are great.

What are the odds that traffic downtown will be brutal on Friday at 5PM? I was going to ask my wife to pick me up from work before we head up north, but now I'm thinking that it might be a terrible idea.

Back