Vaughan 201 Millway | ?m | 45s | August Group | Weston Consulting

ryanbruins17

Member Bio
Reaction score
New entry on PLANit. North of the supposed VMC boundary, but rules are made to be broken. Mods, please feel free to fix the title if needed.

Not sure I love the haphazard placement of the buildings, but hey, at least they aren't blue and grey!

Screenshot 2023-06-19 181808.png
Screenshot 2023-06-19 181751.png
Screenshot 2023-06-19 181518.png

Honestly I really like this, or at least the potential it has. I'm not a fan of a lot of these VMC developments having 3+ towers with identical facades, but the "haphazard" placement is what keeps our cities interesting to look at and live in, by breaking up the grid look that the VMC inevitably has.

Don't get too attached to it. As far as I can tell, Weston Consulting is the one who actually prepared the site plan somehow here, despite being a planning firm, not an architecture firm. The renderings were likely created by a rendering firm and don't represent any really architectural design.

The covering letter does not list an architect as a consultant here. These should literally be treated as massing models designed to indicate a potential future development for the purposes of the Official Plan Amendment here which would add the site to the Vaughan Centre secondary plan and permit residential uses.

As to why the owner here (in this case, a condo corporation for the complex, which includes Weston Consulting's head office, who is presumably a member of the condo corp) made this application - Vaughan is currently reviewing the secondary plan for the VMC and is considering adding a "transition zone" on the north side of portage parkway, including this site. The City wants it to be more mid-scale midrises and townhouses though, not multiple towers, which is why Weston and their condo corporation is likely submitting this, trying to set the policy in advance of the new secondary plan in their favour.

Last edited:
Happy to see VMC getting pushed further already. That entire block of industrial land between VMC and Vaughan Mills (including Vaughan Mills itself) has massive development potential, given the fact that any theoretical further Line 1 extension would just go north toward Vaughan Mills and Major Mackenzie.

Happy to see VMC getting pushed further already. That entire block of industrial land between VMC and Vaughan Mills (including Vaughan Mills itself) has massive development potential, given the fact that any theoretical further Line 1 extension would just go north toward Vaughan Mills and Major Mackenzie.
It will definitely happen. Might as well make one really nice downtown and skyline to prove all those who thought Vaughan could never have a nice downtown wrong 😅 And while we're at it we may as well pull a Manhattan and build Hudson Yards 2.0 over Macmillian Yard 🤩

It will definitely happen. Might as well make one really nice downtown and skyline to prove all those who thought Vaughan could never have a nice downtown wrong 😅 And while we're at it we may as well pull a Manhattan and build Hudson Yards 2.0 over Macmillian Yard 🤩
I don't know about that much expansion in our lifetime, but I think supertalls in Vaughan and Mississauga are a lot closer than we think. A recently proposed tower in sauga is predicted to be somewhere around 270m. I forget who brought forward the fact, but a supertall in sauga or Vaughan would be the first ever to be outside a metropolitan area's primary central core (with some exceptions in Asia - cities you could argue don't have one main central core, or have a single supertall by itself and not in an identifiable core).

Back