Toronto 2 St Thomas | 80.46m | 26s | KingSett Capital | Hariri Pontarini

Minto owns the building (not sure about the land) and the building must remain rental until about 2016 at which time Minto may continue to keep it as a rental, or convert it to condo.

Victoria University owns the land. The only land they sold off was at the corner of St Thomas and Charles, where the main tower will be.

I will never forgive the developers for tearing down the University Apartments building, even if they did leave the other one standing. :(

And that's coming from someone who thinks this proposal is otherwise very quality design and quite ingenious in how it's matched with McKinsey&Co.'s headquarters nextdoor. (Also owned by Victoria University btw... Go Vic!!!) :)

The southside units on either end of the building lost a couple sets of their windows. The building shrunk from 20 units to 16 units. From what I can tell, the four lost units were bachelors or one bedroom units. I think a part of these units were incorporated into one or two of the southside units.

The lost units were converted to a laundry room, bike room, and storage space.

Minto owns the building (not sure about the land) and the building must remain rental until about 2016 at which time Minto may continue to keep it as a rental, or convert it to condo.

I think the 2nd phase will feature balconies that hang over the current 4 story building.

Thanks for the info greenleaf.

April 15
IMG_april-15-09-0107.jpg

IMG_april-15-09-0114.jpg

IMG_april-15-09-0115.jpg

On Hold ??

Not Bayview / Lawrence per say, luxury market: Stratford, Huntington, Wentworth, The St. Thomas, all currently off the market.

is this true ?? :(

The Globe is reporting today (July 17) that this is dead.

Since the fall, four Toronto projects have been pulled by builders – the Wentworth on Avenue Road, the St. Thomas on the street of the same name, Stratford on Bayview Avenue north of Eglinton Avenue East and the Huntington, also on Bayview.

Terrence Belford

It was quite a boring building, anyways. With all the prettied up rendered lighting and effects, its just a stubby bland glass box.

Boring? Bland? It took its design cues from the beautiful McKinsey & Company building, also designed by Hariri Pontarini, immediately to its west. Stupid recession!

I'm glad that this one got cancelled, in its current incarnation. The very first proposal had a lot more stone, and levels, and was far more interesting, It got simplified and seemed a bit boring in my eyes. So now we have an empty lot in a prime area, surrounded by some great buildings. It's a blank canvas. thats exciting!

Back