Toronto 2 Queen West | 34.44m | 7s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

In reading the above article, one gains a sympathy for the challenges here.

Between the poor condition of the facade, which they went to great trouble to save, only to have to recreate it; to finding an old bank vault they didn't expect undeground that actually tied into structure and causing them to have to revisit the entire construction plan.

From the article:

1668413750123.png

On top of the challenges of positioning the crane for the job, which required reinforcing the parking garage....

The numbers on the project suggest to me, it may not be in the black for a little bit.

Taken on the whole though, this project again delivers the message that not only can we save our heritage, we can recreate what has been lost; and we should never again accept excuses to the contrary.

2 Queen project pivots from restoration to re-creation​

Great find! Despite the CF record on building 'upgrades', I live in hope!

In reading the above article, one gains a sympathy for the challenges here.

Between the poor condition of the facade, which they went to great trouble to save, only to have to recreate it; to finding an old bank vault they didn't expect undeground that actually tied into structure and causing them to have to revisit the entire construction plan.

From the article:

View attachment 438984

On top of the challenges of positioning the crane for the job, which required reinforcing the parking garage....

The numbers on the project suggest to me, it may not be in the black for a little bit.

Taken on the whole though, this project again delivers the message that not only can we save our heritage, we can recreate what has been lost; and we should never again accept excuses to the contrary.

I like the idea of recreating something that can’t be saved, but is still standing, but not the idea of something that is long gone being recreated unless archival architectural drawings exist. The only way they were able to recreate the facade here is because they were able to study what was left of it to ensure accuracy.

If it’s long demolished, let it go.

I like the idea of recreating something that can’t be saved, but is still standing, but not the idea of something that is long gone being recreated unless archival architectural drawings exist. The only way they were able to recreate the facade here is because they were able to study what was left of it to ensure accuracy.

If it’s long demolished, let it go.

I can't agree.

I want the old Board of Trade Building rebuilt:

(from the Ontario Archives):

1668463210110.png

Now that is a way to bookend Berczy Park with the Flat Iron!

I'm pragmatic enough, we're not rebuilding everything; only that with extraordinary value, and that which can be done practically (ie removing First Canadian Place to rebuild the old Toronto Daily Star building is a non-starter).

But where nothing greater than 10s was built, and it's humdrum and forgettable, let's bring the good stuff back!

I mean, yeah, that would be nice! Find me a developer who wants to pay for it any maybe we'll talk ;)
They do things different in Europe, of course:

humboldt-forum-berlin-museum-franco-stella_dezeen_2364_col_12.jpg

1024_Neumarkt_mit_Frauenkirche_Frank_Exss.jpg

site_0030_0008-1000-750-20160810112616.jpg

When one Google Street views places like Berlin or Bristol, one'll notice a lot of immaculately preserved elder structures like the ones in the above examples pics, mixed in with wild crazy-arsed newer stuff. It really gives those cities a lot of character and never a dull moment feel. Toronto as a whole, on the other hand, still treats its elder structures as nuisances to a degree that need to be paved over and/or conveniently succumbed to "accidental" fires. And then builds bland spandrel'icious buildings in its wake. We should be ashamed of ourselves, really...

...er, my 2 cents on the matter anywhoose.

Last edited:
When one Google Street views places like Berlin or Bristol, one'll notice a lot of immaculately preserved elder structures like the ones in the above examples pics, mixed in with wild crazy-arsed newer stuff. It really gives those cities a lot of character and never a dull moment feel. Toronto as a whole, on the other hand, still treats its elder structures as nuisances to a degree that need to be paved over and/or conveniently succumbed to "accidental" fires. And then builds bland spandrel'icious buildings in its wake. We should be ashamed of ourselves, really...

...er, my 2 cents on the matter anywhoose.
Personally, I'd like the General Post Office at the head of Toronto Street rebuilt:

postoffice.png

Such a loss. Post war thinking. 'old is bad new is good' attitudes that were terrible my opinion. Many European cities (not all) that were mostly destroyed were re built as they were. Here the automobile boom and the suburban boom took hold and continues. However there are many of us whom prefer to live centrally and that is a good thing. I often look at old photos of Toronto and other cities and wonder what were people thinking in those days?

Back