Toronto 2 Queen West | 34.44m | 7s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

September 21, 2022:

IMG_5950.jpeg
IMG_5951.jpeg
IMG_5952.jpeg

Though it's CF (of 401 Bay Street infamy) , I am looking forward to seeing them put up some cladding on this one!
The new addition should be good since they seem to execute new builds very well, it's the heritage portion that leaves me shuddering. We know their history...

Are they actually doing any work on the 'facade' yet or has all the steelwork exhausted them? Though the renderings look great, I am waiting to see what the building will look like in real life - we all remember how they covered 401 Bay. Shudder, shudder!

Is there actually work being done?
Is there any chance that this is in limbo in order for them to build a bigger entrance to the Ontario Line station?

2 Queen project pivots from restoration to re-creation​

2 Queen project pivots from restoration to re-creation​

Honestly a pretty interesting article that details how intricate this project is. Just want to pull out the bits about recreating the building and historical accuracy; really seems like they're putting in the effort:

The locations that were so badly damaged through water or whatever other renovations that happened over the years, we were able to find very similar limestone and will be carving matching the lettering on both locations.”

Brick size and mortar joint thicknesses were replicated along with the wood window frame profiles, limestone sills and intricate cornice mouldings.

“We had a brick yard re-create the brick with the colour and we even went down to the minute detail of the thickness of the mortar joints. Our restoration contractor Clifford Masonry spent a few months on the scaffold system, painstakingly hand measuring and sketching brick by brick, window frame by window frame, just so they could get a really accurate account of what was there so it could be recreated with as much diligence as possible.”

Back