Toronto 2 Queen West | 34.44m | 7s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

Today.
5F41ED0B-1099-49EA-AF3F-9114BCE9E686.jpeg

They appear to have stopped all work on this project, for months. Anyone have ideas on what's happening?

Cadillac Fairview have shifted to different priorities... ;)

Otherwise, just a speculative thought but perhaps the hold up is due to lack of additional office space demand within the company during this time frame, especially with WFH initiatives during the pandemic.

I've mentioned earlier that this is starting to feel like a Metropolis/10 Dundas East 2.0, with the construction hoarding and progress being stuck in a frozen state for an extended period of time.

Last edited:
Err...what are they exactly doing that's taking so long here? I thought they where just adding a floor and restoring/cleaning up the exterior.

Err...what are they exactly doing that's taking so long here? I thought they where just adding a floor and restoring/cleaning up the exterior.

They're adding a couple new floors, but other than maintaining the facade, the entire interiors have been gutted so the core of the building will be newly built. Right now it still looks mostly hollow inside.

Work seems to have visually stopped for months, if not close to around a year now.

For me this the current day version of Metropolis/10 Dundas East when it was stuck in a seemingly eternal state of incompletion for much of the 90's/early 2000's. :p

The entire façade is being reconstructed, too. Almost every brick being replaced.
Yes, it's a bigger job than one might think BUT absolutely no work has been going on for at least 6 months and, as noted above, crane rental alone must cost $$$$. CF is a huge company so I doubt they have stopped due to 'cash flow' but ....

I emailed CF on Friday (using email link from their website) asking them what is going on. I (surprisingly) got this reply - we are all much the wiser :->

"Thanks for reaching out. Given the current COVID-19 environment, we will use this time to ensure that any plans we have for the site moving forward aligns with business and community opportunities."

I emailed CF on Friday (using email link from their website) asking them what is going on. I (surprisingly) got this reply - we are all much the wiser :->

"Thanks for reaching out. Given the current COVID-19 environment, we will use this time to ensure that any plans we have for the site moving forward aligns with business and community opportunities."

In other words the people who were to move in pulled out and they not longer have any idea what to do.

Back