Toronto 191 College | 95.18m | 31s | Unix Housing Group | Icon

Ah darn it... does UT typically remove things if asked?

Even from what was posted, please tell me at least the facades of the homes would be retained. I like these rows of housefronts here, they make for a more animated street

They were, but in a fairly unconvincing manner.

AoD

I see the rendering was removed, but going through Icon Architects' portfolio of past projects, I've lost any hope I had for this project. What a sad few years for College Street.

Application filed in the AIC for this one:

Purpose-built rental. We're now at 31s

Listed properties shows 191-199 College and 74-76 Henry

1653480103413.png

Aerial Pic:

1653480366119.png

Site Size: ~1650m2/18000ft2

Heritage: All College Street properties are listed, but not designated. Neither listing/nor designation for the Henry properties.

Streetview of Henry properties:

1653480976101.png

Comparison of known stats vs @AlbertC 's initial post:

Then:

Type Residential Development - Student Residences
Site Area 1,617 m2 / 17,405 sf
Total GFA 21,779 m2 / 234,430 sf
Storeys 29
Units 529

Now:

Type: Purpose-Built Rental
Site Area: Comparable
Total GFA: 21023m2 (- 756m2)
Storeys 31
Units: 492 (-37)

Last edited:
"Not so much in terms of architecture" is par for the course regarding any recent developments along College Street between ~Spadina to McCaul.
...and this what makes me very nervous of any new proposals along this strip. We don't need another piece to go along with the horror stories that's already been built there. >.<

...and this what makes me very nervous of any new proposals along this strip. We don't need another piece to go along with the horror stories that's already been built there. >.<

Maybe there's still a chance for a really knock-it-outta-the-park stunner someday at the southeast corner of Spadina & College where they have all those fast food joints? 🤷‍♂️

(Or we can at least hope...)

Last edited:

First an additional render:

1655487892347.png

The heritage preservation here is decent.

The tower is.......in need of significant refinement.

Aside from a complete re-think on materiality, I'd like to see the podium especially, but also the tower be just a bit less bulky here, and would frankly be happy discuss a bit more height to achieve that.
(note that I have reviewed the shadow studies and do not perceive a reason there that additional height couldn't be a bargaining chip here)

Oh........... LOL......reading the Planning Rationale Report.....on the subject of the design:

1655488139272.png

Sophisticated, eh?

LOL

Interesting..........the proposal is to deliver this building as CLT (cross-laminated timber)

Ok, aesthetics aside..........this bit is good and @HousingNowTO will want to take note:

1655488303865.png

The downside, all the affordable units are to be studio units.

Also of note:

1655488431910.png

Last edited:

Back