Toronto 1900 Yonge Street | ?m | 45s | CreateTO

An in-person meeting happening tonight!

1674182317897.png

1674182342585.jpeg

"Potential Development Statistics"

1674182437515.png

1674182480038.png

No unit counts - BUT some very rough guess-timates from the "potential" numbers above...

1900 Yonge = approx. ~390 units.

Davisville Yard = approx ~465 units.

TOTAL units = Approx. ~855 units.

AFFORDABLE RENTAL units = ~282 units
* if the City/Matlow follows the "Housing Now" model of 1/3rd affordable for 99-years (TBD).

Thank you to @HousingNowTO for following this and posting details; much appreciated.

Preliminary comments: (to be sure, incomplete info at this stage).

Massing models seem to show residential concentrated against Yonge, including McBrien (TTC HQ), mainline tracks, and narrow storage at the south end.

Not clear yet, to me, what's going on with the rest, some is obviously intended as park.

Unit count seems low for the area, need to have a better understanding of the rationale for that.

"Potential Development Statistics"

View attachment 451457
View attachment 451458
No unit counts - BUT some very rough guess-timates from the "potential" numbers above...

1900 Yonge = approx. ~390 units.

Davisville Yard = approx ~465 units.

TOTAL units = Approx. ~855 units.

AFFORDABLE RENTAL units = ~282 units
* if the City/Matlow follows the "Housing Now" model of 1/3rd affordable for 99-years (TBD).
Two levels of parking directly connected to a subway station is sadly peak Toronto, and as always, is monumentally disappointing. We are never going to accomplish anything about getting people out of cars if we continue to put parking in buildings that have direct subway access! They will just drive! They won't use the subway. This is insanity.

Two levels of parking directly connected to a subway station is sadly peak Toronto, and as always, is monumentally disappointing.

To be fair, assuming you haven't seen info I have not...........I'm banking on that parking being commercial, for the office site.

Which is really important to the viability of AAA space. If it's for residential there, that's entirely different and more off-putting.

Well it looks like a reasonable count for the floor count; eyeballing 30-40 floors based on the typical 11-13 units per floor.
Up to 30-45 Storeys in one of their scenarios. All of their Display Boards are supposed to be on-line in about 10-days as PDFs.

It is a ModernTO site - and will follow the "1/3rd Affordable" rule - but not clear yet if it will be Affordable Rental (or Ownership) or the years of Affordability.

Happy to see "Financial Sustainability" as one of the Identified City Building Prioirities. MATH MATTERS!

1674218463810.png

1674218250540.png
1674218168508.jpeg

To be fair, assuming you haven't seen info I have not...........I'm banking on that parking being commercial, for the office site.

Which is really important to the viability of AAA space. If it's for residential there, that's entirely different and more off-putting.
Yeah, that makes more sense. Commercial parking is definitely more reasonable at this location.

Another public consultation tonight in regarding midtown...

Ready, Set, Midtown
January 25, 2022
6:30 PM – Virtual Hearing

Virtual meeting to discuss a review of the zoning in the Midtown area and advancing an Infrastructure Implementation Strategy. The zoning review will align and update existing zoning to reflect the Yonge-Eglinton Secondary Plan (OPA 405) PDF, the City’s Official Plan and provincial policy. It will address land use, building heights and other matters that shape development and buildings. The Implementation Strategy will assist the City in securing and delivering improvements to community facilities, parks, the public realm, local transportation, sewers and watermains so that the area grows and evolves as a complete community.

Looking at this again...........I'm realizing, this concept does not take any development south of (opposite) Balliol. So they've chose not to build over the narrower corridor at the south end. That explains the lower unit count than I had been anticipating.

I wonder what the rationale is.........

I can certainly imagine fitting one very decent sized building to the south of the Beltline Trail bridge, even allowing for separation distances from the rental to the west.

It would shadow the cemetery somewhat, but only from the west, so I think that's quite reasonable.

The only challenges, beyond building over the tracks, that I see here are the grade change between the mainline tracks and the yard tracks, and somewhere around there is the big Yellow Creek Tunnel where the buried Creek passes underneath Yonge. But its not so large you couldn't work around it.

While it's beyond the scope of this redevelopment exercise, I wonder if the city has looked at options for developing over the tracks south of the Beltline bridge that face onto Mt Pleasant Cemetery? Given the width of the right of way there, they could cut Yonge Street down to 2 lanes and shift it to the east up against the cemetery. This would free up space for some small format retail and building entrances to enliven this segment of Yonge while allowing towers and midrise above.. Tower separation (to the west) would only be a problem at the south end. Servicing could be provided by the new N/S service and access road.

To further ease development, they could eliminate much of the grade change in this area on Yonge and bring it in line with the subway tracks. It would create an elevation drop off down to the cemetery, but access to the cemetery here is blocked by a fence under the current conditions. You could actually start this leveling out of Yonge at Merton as it wouldn't effect the existing building at the southeast corner of Merton and Yonge (it would actually improve its relationship to the street). You would need to raise the Beltline bridge though.

Beltline Trail expanded? The area they have greened off in that map is what that said trial is now currently...so what are they planning to expand with it?

Back