Toronto 175 St Clair West | 55.7m | 14s | Resident | Richard Wengle

Wow! This is a beautiful detailed antique looking development that's definitely needed and to belongs in Yorkville area! As seen in the little thumbnail photo up above.

This is incredibly gaudy and trying way too hard to be a "palace" that will very likely be clad in stucco or precast.

I have to wonder why people here and buying these places like to live in fake castles.

This is incredibly gaudy and trying way too hard to be a "palace" that will very likely be clad in stucco or precast.

I have to wonder why people here and buying these places like to live in fake castles.

If you think this is bad you should see some of the mansions Richard Wengle has designed. Richard Wengle is the go to guy for this kind of stuff (with a few exceptions like his building on prince arthur)

If you think this is bad you should see some of the mansions Richard Wengle has designed. Richard Wengle is the go to guy for this kind of stuff (with a few exceptions like his building on prince arthur)
I just don't understand why such gaudy designs are so popular. There are loads of people out there looking for cozy warm coloured condos with good materials and instead we get lazy cold designs for who exactly?

Yes, you too can have architecture meant for a Disney theme park, right in your own city!

This is architecture meant as a theatre set: 100% phony. But meant to amuse and give off an "impression" of something that it is not. There is no way I can respect this except to the degree to which it pulls off something that it can never be (namely a large 19th century imperial palace).

Yes, you too can have architecture meant for a Disney theme park, right in your own city!

This is architecture meant as a theatre set: 100% phony. But meant to amuse and give off an "impression" of something that it is not. There is no way I can respect this except to the degree to which it pulls off something that it can never be (namely a large 19th century imperial palace).
Don't get me wrong. I love false heritage. Again, this discussion has been had elsewhere, that the heritage designs I and many others cherish in our 19th and 20th century built cities, is neoclassicism, or designs built of roman classical architecture with columns and such. Those have stood the test of time because they were build with real materials however, and they had designers and architects build the designs by hand, not some architecture firm with a noname architect behind the design.

Does everything have to be contemporary?

Ive seen plenty of precast turn out well as long as the proportions and ornamentation is tasteful. The upper section of One Saint Thomas is precast.

It's objectively superior in every way to the Zigg Condos trash next door.

Does everything have to be contemporary?

Ive seen plenty of precast turn out well as long as the proportions and ornamentation is tasteful. The upper section of One Saint Thomas is precast.

It's objectively superior in every way to the Zigg Condos trash next door.

I'd love to see more cozy designs. Look at some of the most popular apartments and condos, those old industrial warehouses with exposed brick, wood beams, bohemian style, even mid century modern. There's just nothing I've see designed for anyone but people with no taste at all and only interested in cold hard designs.

I'd love to see more cozy designs. Look at some of the most popular apartments and condos, those old industrial warehouses with exposed brick, wood beams, bohemian style, even mid century modern. There's just nothing I've see designed for anyone but people with no taste at all and only interested in cold hard designs.
I think neo beaux arts design suits Forest Hill perfectly. This is kind of a streamlined neo beaux arts with a few deco accents. Could it be better? Sure. But the average contemporary condo looks exponentially worse and 'colder' to me.

I find the straight lines of the Colonnade a bit harsh which is why I wish Wengle would consider incorporating archways like the building to the east, but I suspect he is very constrained by the developer and the townhouse clients who probably want maximum light flooding their units (then again, it is north facing ) Either that, or he could be drawing inspiration from the mid century colonnade of the Macdonald Block govt buildings

I love Industrial Warehouse too, but it wouldnt suit this particular location imo. I'm really upset by the proposal to demolish the character 6 story warehouse building by Dupont and Ossington. The condo proposed to replace the building is atrocious. That's a neighbourhood thats screaming for new brick warehouse inspired buildings.

Mid century modern can provide a beautiful contrast to these more ornate designs while still staying true to the 'golden ratio' Mies Van Der Rohe use of minimalist black lines and abundance of travertine (in the interior spaces) is still very sophisticated and opulent.

While the Forest Hill Condominiums is a decent addition to the area, something like Fashion House condos would be completely out of place.

If you replaced Zigg Condos with a clone of Brant Park condos I wouldnt be bitching as much.

Last edited:
Wow! This is a beautiful detailed antique looking development that's definitely needed and to belongs in Yorkville area! As seen in the little thumbnail photo up above.
I dont think anyone is advocating for soviet architecture fronted by surface parking lots. Like me, they probably wish to see more Stern designs in Yorkville instead of the current econo-tecture being proposed to replace Cumberland Terrace.

The Merchandise Mart in Chicago has a huge footprint (that would dwarf this proposal) but that dosent make it a bad building. Personally I think we've got too many mediocre pencil thin towers (and lousy stubby podiums) like 18 Yorkville.

Although it's not perfect, Id replace the shabby&soulless '18 Yorkville condos'' with Vancouvers' "Grace Residences" in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
This will be 10 times uglier than any 60s highrise slab tower. And more visually imposing. With worse layouts. Build a 50-storey point tower, already.

2B00BBAC-981B-4EAE-AE1A-A0FC9A614F7E.jpeg

Back