Mississauga 170 Lakeshore Road East | 56.6m | 17s | Lightpoint | Arcadis

I see the four story appeal with the precedent set south of the Lakeshore, almost opposite this site. On the other hand there are significant new builds a block away (NE corner of Lakeshore and Hurontario) and legacy multistory builds exceeding four stories scattered to the east and fringing the east side of the commercial section of Lakeshore East.

There are no reasons not to build as planned. The site is located on a busy main traffic artery, not some quiet side street. Walking distance to the PC Go Station, the the HM line and all the multistory builds there and to come. Walking distance to the 'gentrified ' sections of the Lakeshore west of Hurontario, walking distance to the Lake, walking distance to some excellent pubs and (most of all) walking distance to your proposal for re-wilding part of the Credit river historical land fill areas!

There are two or three other strip malls and disused commercial sites that are ripe for development, and all in this area.
Personally I can understand why some might be upset. The shadow from this will impact the residential to the north and likely the schoolyard further north as well. It's not pleasant using outdoor space in the shadow of a tall building. It's cold, gloomy, and sometimes even quite windy. Not to mention the many sets of eyes now on you whenever you use your outdoor space. All of this would probably push me to stay indoors or move.

Personally I can understand why some might be upset. The shadow from this will impact the residential to the north and likely the schoolyard further north as well. It's not pleasant using outdoor space in the shadow of a tall building. It's cold, gloomy, and sometimes even quite windy. Not to mention the many sets of eyes now on you whenever you use your outdoor space. All of this would probably push me to stay indoors or move.

Agreed that shaded school grounds in the winter would not be very pleasant, and this is worth consideration. I've not looked at the shadow study but since the yard is north-west of the building it shouldn't be shaded during lunch hour and possibly not at any time of day during the summer when the angle is steeper.

As for shading the residential house backyards I'm pretty firmly on the side of encouraging redevelopment of most of those blocks. Ford's Major Transit Station Area policies ought to apply here.

This is a ten minute walk from Port Credit GO according to Google (which means in my experience, it's less than that)--there is no reason for NIMBYs to win here.

This is a ten minute walk from Port Credit GO according to Google (which means in my experience, it's less than that)--there is no reason for NIMBYs to win here.
No idea why this is even a debate. How is it Erin mills mall can build 30 floor buildings right beside SFH and there be no issue yet here on a major street walking distance to a LRT and a GO there is an issue. Or how is it possible that all those SFH on confederation are being dwarfed by pinnacle and Rogers but that’s ok. These are just NIMBYs. From my own back yard there’s three 30-40 floor condos going up. It’s life. But I guess the more money you have the more complaining you think you should be able to do and the more listening from city hall you expect.

Back