Toronto 17 Vickers | 14.23m | 1s | Metro | GKC Architects

Tried to shoot this yesterday only to find I made the rare mistake of leaving the memory card attached to the computer. Today's weather was just as good:

DJI_0779.JPG
DJI_0776.JPG

The damage looks surprisingly light, considering this fire reached 3-alarm at one point.
I thought the same thing when I shot the photos. I did see at least one worker on the roof this morning so I guess they are trying to play catch-up.

Normally we don't put labour news in construction threads, but as this pertains particularly to Metro Warehouse workers in Toronto, it seems apt enough:

Unifor has ratified a new agreement for Metro warehouse workers.

While the pay remains pretty low for new hires, the deal is a dramatic improvement.

The starting pay will rise from $17.45 per hour to $21.50 per hour effective immediately and then on to $23 per hour over the next 3 years.

The top tier of pay is not mentioned in the article, but it is noted as increasing by $4.65 per hour immediately, and a total increase of $6.15 per hour by 2025

Finally, the company's prescription drug plan will now extend to all part-time workers, and all employees will get one additional paid day of leave.

I'm wondering if the old A&P warehouse in the foreground of this shot will be torn down once the new warehouse is fully operational. Anyone know what, if anything is planned for the Food Basics store\Warehouse?

June 5th
DJI_0285.JPG

I'm wondering if the old A&P warehouse in the foreground of this shot will be torn down once the new warehouse is fully operational. Anyone know what, if anything is planned for the Food Basics store\Warehouse?

June 5th
View attachment 405472

Large scale redevelopment is contemplated.

It appears UT didn't cover the applications back when, or at least I don't see a thread for it.

The discussion at the OPA level (Official Plan) occured back in the 2007-2013 time frame including an appeal to the then OMB

I can't find a Final Report from Council; or the Final decision of the OMB including every detail, so I'm not certain what the final, approved proposal looked like.
However, I did manage to dig up what the in-process version looked like, and it may be similar. I also have the planning report and case file numbers in case anyone wants to go digging.

2011 Report to EYCC: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2011/ey/bgrd/backgroundfile-42066.pdf

06 199602 WET 05 OZ (5559 Dundas Street West)

From the above:

1654606436142.png

This link was a just a pit-stop hearing along the way at the OMB:

But it does afford us the case number: OMB File No. PL111133 & PL111134

Some more digging gives us a decision here from 2014 that appears to the be the most recent on the file:

LOL, they were still on about one of the s.37 conditions as recently as 2019!

Last edited:
Will there be a green roof? The amount of stormwater runoff from a massive horizontally-oriented building like this one is likely huge. It taxes our infrastructure significantly. The lack of unpaved space that can be used for planting trees is also disappointing.

Will there be a green roof? The amount of stormwater runoff from a massive horizontally-oriented building like this one is likely huge. It taxes our infrastructure significantly. The lack of unpaved space that can be used for planting trees is also disappointing.
I don't think so. A green roof would also go a long way to reducing the heat island effect in the area.

I don't think so. A green roof would also go a long way to reducing the heat island effect in the area.
The City will accept white roofs in place of green ones on some developments; the white bounces the sun's rays back up, and stops the building from heating up. @junctionist is right though, a roof that size is a big issue regarding runoff, and yes, it would also be good to see trees around the site wherever possible!

I assume the above is the new 'Fresh' distribution centre on which Grocery Business has a modest update.

Signage up:

1678181462305.png

Taken from: https://www.grocerybusiness.ca/images/2023/03/metro4.jpg

A look at the inside:

1678181531082.png

Taken from: https://www.grocerybusiness.ca/images/2023/03/metro2.jpg

The main thing we learn here is:

"Witron automation mobilization is now underway (fully automated order-picking machinery)"

Back