Toronto 160 Front West | 239.87m | 46s | Cadillac Fairview | AS + GG

A little disappointed to see the current building go as I am a big fan of the restaurants and bars along that stretch of front. That being said it is a great location for a high-rise residential and office development, and if the new development contains sufficient ground floor retail and meets the street well any concerns I have should satisfied. However, I hope that the next building over which houses the Loose Moose stays for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Yeah more is good, this has nothing to do with 156 Front street, but there is a chart here in this interesting article regarding the downtown office market that also shows you how low the office vacancy rate is in Toronto compared to other North American cities.

Cushman & Wakefield: Toronto’s Downtown Office Growth Surge
http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...efield-Toronto’s-Downtown-Office-Growth-Surge

It always amazes me how large companies that thrive on the business of leasing commercial office space can make such mistakes ... first of all, the inventory figures in that report are not at all representing the CBD ... for Toronto, it's the entire city. The vacancy rate, however, is for the downtown core alone.

Now to be fair ... I think the messed up the inventory of all cities :) They all look like the total inventory across the city proper ... at least they didn't include the rest of the GTA, a very common mistake.

80 million is about the figure for all of Toronto last I checked.

Actually ... having a closer look, I'm pretty sure Huston and Los Angles are wrong ... i.e. the inventory is actually for the CBD alone in that case so I would ignore those entries.

Am I the only one that's hating the fact that the brick building will be demolished?

Am I the only one that's hating the fact that the brick building will be demolished?
Nope. It will be missed by many of us and people who live/work in the neighbourhood. It could have brought some real character to this part of Bathurst that would have extended the historic vibe of the buildings further north on King, despite all the glass and aluminum in between.

Edit: sorry, I posted this in the wrong thread (I thought I was in the Front & Bathurst Freed/Minto thread). But yeah, basically the same thing applies to this building.

Last edited:
I don't understand why the city cant ask or stipulate that new buildings going up in empty parking lots in historic areas be required to design a faux facade to compliment other neighboring buildings to at least create a historic street wall. The taller portion could slightly be setback. Something could be exchanged for the compliance. Its a win/win.

What's there now looking west along Front. That's going to be one dense corner if they put these up.

156front.jpg

Handsome building and we're losing it for what again? Right. More glass/steel boxes. Can you tell I'm not impressed?

I agree, nice building. It looks like it is great shape. It's obviously not protected, or this proposal would not be happening. That's too bad. There is lots of parking lots and derelict buildings to build on instead of this one.

why is everyone worried about losing the building, it says they're retaining the historical south & east facades.

why is everyone worried about losing the building, it says they're retaining the historical south & east facades.

I think most people would rather have the full structure.

This collection of buildings adds some additional character to the area - it's a shame to lose any of them.

Back