Toronto 160 Front West | 239.87m | 46s | Cadillac Fairview | AS + GG

Epic news! The heights seem appropriate, and should fill in the skyline gap quite well from the lake perspective. Hopefully this also includes the parking lot (formerly Ritz sales centre) at the corner of Front/Simcoe. A 54 storey office tower should be around 210 m/710 ft range, something like Bay-Adelaide.

frontstreet.jpg

Caltrane: Good guess, the developer is definitely Cadillac Fairview; they have been assembling this site since late 2008. The site also includes the parking lot immediately to the west of 156 Front, and one other parking lot farther north on Simcoe Street.

Wait, this doesn't include the building directly fronting university i.e. the bigger version of the building I think they're demolishing, the one with with the Jack Astors ?

I love that old building and think it should stay, the one with Canyon creek can go

Yay. More facadism. This building isn't the most architectually stimulating. It's pretty plain, really. However, it is nice.
I am looking forward to seeing what they plan for this lot. It better be good if they want to do yet another facade in Toronto.

I was trying to picture the site in question so i pulled up a "bird's eye" of the area and realized it is a little dated. I placed green squares where the 156 Front street site is and then tried to show where the other missing recently built buildings are as well as the "under construction". I appologize for the crude nature of the pic but it certainly shows the crazy amount of development happening in our fair city - and I know I missed a couple as well.

This is an amazing site and I hope it will be an amazing development. Its really hard to believe this is all happening.

156Front.jpg

Blind mockup to show height, based on the calculations you guys did just a few posts up. I supposed the residential tower will sit on the historical facade part of the base, and that the office component will sit along Simcoe.
I have no info on the building, so this is just a wild guess - to muse over.

154fronta.jpg

154yongeb.jpg

154air.jpg

154air2.jpg

154lowersimcoe.jpg

154bay.jpg

It looks like the height of the buildings will sit well with the existing Simcoe Place - Ritz-Carlton grouping.

Last edited:
Big Daddy:

You've left out Theatre Park, and just out of that shot are all the John St, Peter St, and other Entertainment District developments.

"Crazy amount of development" is spot-on.

Wow..all we need now is the announcement of REIT's 37 storey 176 meter Front Street Data Centre & Tower at 151/171 Front street and this intersection/area could very well be one of the densest Toronto office building concentrations away from Bay street.

Okay, my head just exploded. The pace of Toronto development is now officially insane.

Some explanations for all this growth.

1) Developers are taking advantage of the low cost of borrowing.

2) Toronto has become a hot market, because it's relativity inexpensive.

3) Wealthy, recent immigrants from Eastern Europe, China and South Asia are telling their friends about what a great place Toronto is to live and invest in.

4) Once the US collapses into chaos, all those rich American refugees are going to need a place to live.

Once the US collapses into chaos, all those rich American refugees are going to need a place to live.

And looking at those idiots in Washington, this will begin in 10 days.

Seriously, if the Republicans continue to work towards a default on the US federal debt, the resulting economic implosion could very well stop worldwide high-rise development (including Toronto) in its tracks for many years. So I believe there are two paths forward for Toronto: a continuation of the incredible, Asian-like construction boom, or a return to the 1990s with its almost complete lack of construction.

Naturally, I would prefer the building boom, but it's out of our hands, instead it's in the hands of the Republitards in Washington.

Just because there is a application for the site, does that mean if it gets approved it will be constructed ASAP? I mean ICE has approval for building a office building and they arent. MARS 2 stopped...

Nice rendering CN, but I think both of these new buildings are going to be taller than the Ritz (209M). Considering that BA west at 50s is 218M. Caltrane's guess (Residential - 245, Office. - 230 meters) looks pretty accurate.

Back