Toronto 160 Front West | 239.87m | 46s | Cadillac Fairview | AS + GG

IMG_9721.jpeg

From today

And Blue Bovine! I'm in the financial district five days a week, and while it's really busy on three of those days, I don't know how it can sustain all of these.

The Globe has just published a new take on this complex by @AlexBozikovic

I think it would be fair to say his view is 'mixed' at best.

While he clearly has time for some of the elements of the Tower............

He has a few sharp criticisms as well:

"The building’s main façade, on Front Street, is similarly expressionless until you encounter the retained facade of a 1905 warehouse at its east end. That structure’s red-brick corbels and arches are more interesting than anything on this far more expensive, far more elaborate tower."

and

"The tower has the unfortunate quality of much recent corporate architecture: It’s interesting from a distance and boring up close. To make things worse, TD has installed gaudy decorative lighting, flashing the bank’s logo and blaring stripes of LED tinsel down the edges of the building."

I find those critiques fair. I think the grade-level expression of the building is poor, it lacks porosity and feels like its insular rather than interacting w/the surrounding streetscape. I would also agree that the lighting program is just too much.

At the time of writing he notes a future restaurant space as vacant; though we have since come to learn this will be occupied by Oretta. (Italian Restaurant)

Back