Toronto 160 Front West | 239.87m | 46s | Cadillac Fairview | AS + GG

I am looking forward to seeing it at night all lit up. The materials are high end, overall a solid office tower. Vertical lines rather than horizontal would have made it look more balanced IMO and less bulky. But oh well, can't complain.

I am looking forward to seeing it at night all lit up. The materials are high end, overall a solid office tower. Vertical lines rather than horizontal would have made it look more balanced IMO and less bulky. But oh well, can't complain.

I think bulky is what they were going for.

I think bulky is what they were going for.
Yes, to me the building fills its envelope out as primarily private space, with seemingly few concessions to the public realm for such a large structure- even the cladding renders the lobby opaque as part of TD space.

I can't but think that the city could have pushed for more interesting public access into the space (there seems to have been more extracted out of Bay Adelaide on site than this)- imagine if there was a public terrace on top of the old warehouse building, and the space under the swoop was a multi-floored atrium space- or perhaps the tacked-on podium could have been a pops plaza instead?

dsc01595-jpg.477236

Last edited:
View attachment 480031

A shot from today showing the building in the skyline
Out of the 11 tallest buildings by appearance from this angle (not by the actual height), 8 were built in the last 7 years and if you extend the time frame to last 9 years, the count changes to 10 out of 11.

Built in the last 7 years from left to right:
  • 160 Front
  • 10 York
  • Harbour Plaza 1
  • Harbour Plaza 2
  • CIBC Square
  • Prestige
  • Sugar Wharf 1
  • Sugar Wharf 2
Built in last 9 years:
  • Ice Condos 1
  • Ice Condos 2
First Canadian Place is the only legacy tall building in this view. This goes on to show how much the postcard view has changed in the last few years after remaining constant for very long. If I had to choose, I would prefer the postcard view with the Financial District we had before these condos were built.

In the next 5 years, we'll be seeing even taller buildings including 2 at One Yonge and 3 at Sugar Wharf plus a few more here and there, especially on the left side of CN Tower. Hard to believe all these changes took, and will take, less than a generation.

Back