Toronto 160 Front West | 239.87m | 46s | Cadillac Fairview | AS + GG

Today:

20230107_160427.jpg
20230107_160615.jpg
20230107_160736.jpg

Oh, I just realized that they didn't use the angled panels on either side of the midpoint of the "mouth".
The reflections look a bit off in that last pic.

Everyone was saying this from the start, but it's very apparent now that if this were 70+m taller it would have been an iconic Toronto building.
I kinda agree. Right now, as has been already mentioned by a couple of posters, from the south, it looks fat. In addition those two maws and that cut out corner on the south-east look awkward, to me at least. Sometimes less is more! In an effort to make an architectural statement you get buildings like this or the walkie-talkie building in London England which to me is cringe worthy!

I kinda agree. Right now, as has been already mentioned by a couple of posters, from the south, it looks fat. In addition those two maws and that cut out corner on the south-east look awkward, to me at least. Sometimes less is more! In an effort to make an architectural statement you get buildings like this or the walkie-talkie building in London England which to me is cringe worthy!
I personally love the Walkie Talkie (f.k.a Walkie Scorchie) - even if it is more eccentric, it is certainly memorable in my eyes.

I totally agree that if this building were taller it would have that same impact, especially since it already feels iconic already imo. It's refreshing to see a building that breaks the mold of conventional rectangular towers that we see predominantly - it's just a shame that it might not be as visible in the skyline in the near future ☹️

edit: I would go as far to say that taking more creative approaches to make a potentially iconic tower is worth the risk - but Concord Sky makes me second guess that statement

Original courtesy of Gavin Edmondstone

Fitting into the skyline nicely from across the lake.

View attachment 450013
Seeing this picture, It seems essential that a tall pinnacle one Yonge project balance out the sheer verticality of the CN tower and surrounding bank towers. While some towers seem prominent, we still see that our skyline from the postcard view still centres on CN tower and a few 1970s-constructed towers despite all the growth of the past decades.

Just walked past 160 Front and they seem to be in the final stages of pouring the base concrete layer on the Simcoe Street ROW - on top of the new PATH tunnel - and should be able to lay the new asphalt in the next few days, snow permitting. They planned to re-open Simcoe in "January 2023" and it looks as though they will be on schedule. I assume the new PATH passageway will only open after 160 Front opens. Next I hope they try to link the PATH at 160 Front to the PATH entrance at York & Front, but I assume it must await redevelopment or major work on 144/146 Front. (Jack Astor & Loose Moose.)

Back