Toronto 159SW Condos | 118.87m | 36s | Alterra | Richmond Architects

I'd say blame them both. Blame the city for the ugly brown colour, and Alterra for making the entire thing a cheap-looking, jumbled mess. There's probably a way they could have worked with the city's colour requirement (although I would prefer they'd been able to use the colour they planned as the renderings looked promising), and made it work. Instead they awkwardly slapped it onto a design that made no sense for it.

I'd blame the builder more. The city told them to stick to a color as they do other builders....they didn't tell them to use some of the crappiest fake brick and cheapest materials they could find. That just makes me dislike the developer even more.

I messaged them about this on instagram a while ago...crickets.

I'd blame the builder more. The city told them to stick to a color as they do other builders....they didn't tell them to use some of the crappiest fake brick and cheapest materials they could find. That just makes me dislike the developer even more.

I messaged them about this on instagram a while ago...crickets.

This. It would have looked perfectly fine as proper brick; or even brick-faced precast that is a little less flat and fake instead going 365-quality about it. In any event, you still have to contend with those fuzzy window wall with tinny little spandrel panels that just emphasized the excess of mullions even more.

AoD

This. It would have looked perfectly fine as proper brick; or even brick-faced precast that is a little less flat and fake instead going 365-quality about it. In any event, you still have to contend with those fuzzy window wall with tinny little panels that just emphasized the excess of mullions even more.

AoD
Those fake brick panels are so cheap they look like they could blow off in the next wind storm. The black renderings actually made the building look cool and interesting. Smh

Sadly -- never trust renderings without consulting the actual plans.

AoD
Check out the concept design for the Pontiac Sunfire back in the day for gloriously disappointing analogue of what reality brought… Design rarely ever gets priority over the amount of money someone wants to put in it. When it does win out (see 1 Bloor W; at least so far), it'll get poo-pooed to the very end as too optimistic and aspiring to be able to continue.

Unfortunately unlike concept cars, condos often go on the market long before the design is finalized.

I was born in this area across the street from this future condo 42 years ago in NW corner in the building which was Wellesley hospital where my mom was a nurse there. This future condo has a bad full colour scheme.

Passed by this building today, the lobby didn't even start decorating(completely nothing, not even the marble pile), but the occupancy start next week,anyone know what's happening?

That is weird, but there's also a thing where some new buildings skip the interior finishes in common areas until after people have moved in. No point painting all the walls if they'll just get scuffed by the movers

That is weird, but there's also a thing where some new buildings skip the interior finishes in common areas until after people have moved in. No point painting all the walls if they'll just get scuffed by the movers
I believe this is just excuse, they want residents ASAP so that they can start charging money to cover expense

Passed by this building today, the lobby didn't even start decorating(completely nothing, not even the marble pile), but the occupancy start next week,anyone know what's happening?
So that's why they're working on the sidewalk now. I hope at least that's done before occupancy starts.

They can occupy without a completed lobby. 628 Fleet Street Occupancy commenced Jan 4, 2010 after multiple delays following the initial purchase in the Molson buildings in 2005 and the long tear down. Lobby wasn’t read until the Fall of 2010, just before registration. Still, West Harbour 1 began Occupying faster than this Alterra monolith, which has ruined 5 summers for anyone living at Earnscliffe or 155 Wellesley St E.

I believe this is just excuse, they want residents ASAP so that they can start charging money to cover expense
They want to rush the first 180 (50%) purchasers in so they can Register and get paid! All that deposit money from the original sales has been sitting in escrow for over 4 years.

The city just wants to know that an elevator works, the fire alarms and hoses function, that there is heat and hydro - that’s pretty much it. Garbage chutes, you might expect 2-3 months before garbage pickup can be arranged, especially with most senior managers having 6 week’s holidays. Fight for the one or two available elevators which will be covered in genuine plywood for weeks or months. Hint: do not buy in the lower half of any building. It might shock readers what the city will turn a blind eye to.

This. It would have looked perfectly fine as proper brick; or even brick-faced precast that is a little less flat and fake instead going 365-quality about it. In any event, you still have to contend with those fuzzy window wall with tinny little spandrel panels that just emphasized the excess of mullions even more.

AoD
Say what one might about St Jamestown, but the glazed brick is 55 years old and original. Those towers were built to last anything except Rent Controls, OPG electricity hikes and Jane Jacobs rants again ‘tower in the park’ urban design. Be careful when painting over the glazed brick, as 155 Wellesley St E, (looking crushed and forgotten next to the Alterra behemoth beside it) has done, at least twice in the last 20 years. If the paint is porous it can trap moisture and cancel any water resistance the glazing might still offer. Ah, fashion before function

Back